Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instructing outside an ATO

I guess there has already been some discussion about this in some older thread however I am unable to find it. I'd like to confirm that my understanding as specified below is correct...
Training for all EASA licences and ratings has to be done at an ATO according to Part FCL. However there is no such requirement for a differences training. Does it mean that an independent FI can do such training without any affiliation to an ATO?
How about a conversion training to a new aircraft within SEP class that doesn't actually require differences training? Is it possible to give such training outside an ATO on a privately owned or rented aircraft?
Training flights for the purpose of revalidation of SEP class rating and training to meet the recency requirements for LAPL or actually any training that a qualified pilot seeks can also be done outside an ATO?
I assume the instructor logs the time as instruction and the trainee as dual in all above cases even though the trainee might actually be legally qualified to act as a PIC, right?
Any other training that can be given independently?

LKBE

The answer is Yes!

Any other training that can be given independently?

IMC; NPPL; Microlight

How about a conversion training to a new aircraft within SEP class that doesn't actually require differences training? Is it possible to give such training outside an ATO on a privately owned or rented aircraft?

For this kind of training you only need to read the instruction manual of the aeroplane. Not even a flying instructor is required.

Training flights for the purpose of revalidation of SEP class rating and training to meet the recency requirements for LAPL or actually any training that a qualified pilot seeks can also be done outside an ATO?

Yes.

I assume the instructor logs the time as instruction and the trainee as dual in all above cases even though the trainee might actually be legally qualified to act as a PIC, right?

In Germany there were lengthy discussions about that when JAR FLC was introduced. The general consensus among aviation lawyers was that the pilot who revalidates his license is PIC during the training flight (because he has a valid license and is taught nothing new). The instructor can also log the flight unspecifically as "flying time".

EDDS - Stuttgart

Very interesting that the IMCR can be done entirely outside the school environment, with a freelance instructor.

Not many people know that!

Particularly relevant given the current scramble to get it, before ab initio issues are banned by EASA after - apparently - April 2014.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Tumbleweed: Microlight licenses, and training towards the same, are outside EASA authority anyway.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

In Germany there were lengthy discussions about that when JAR FLC was introduced. The general consensus among aviation lawyers was that the pilot who revalidates his license is PIC during the training flight (because he has a valid license and is taught nothing new). The instructor can also log the flight unspecifically as "flying time".

Do you mean to log the time so that it counts in total time however with no record in any pilot function time category? What is this consensus based on?
This is certainly not the common practice in the Czech Republic. Whenever I got checked by an operator's instructor for the purpose of renting an aircraft I logged dual and the instructor logged PIC/Instructor.

LKBE

In the UK the biennial flight is classed as a training flight and logged as Put. The instructor as P1. The previous requirement for a one hour training flight may also now alternatively be flown in up to three separate flights totalling at least one hour provided they are flown with the same instructor.

Egnm, United Kingdom

May IMC training for initial issue of the rating also be flown outside an ATO?

Egnm, United Kingdom

May IMC training for initial issue of the rating also be flown outside an ATO?

What other type of IMC training is there?

It is a National rating and there is nothing in UK law that requires anything other than a qualified instructor as has always been the case. But it only lasts till April so its really of little consequence now.

What other type of IMC training is there?

The type where one wishes to receive IMC training but not with a view to initial issue of a rating. For example during a revalidation flight, as a precautionary measure, just for the sake of experience, or just to brush up etc

Egnm, United Kingdom
30 Posts
Sign in to add your message