Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

DTO use of aircraft and location

Just reading up on DTO but some things are not clear.
I’m wondering about what’s required to use an airplane for DTO instruction and if there is a national geographical limit.
If one has a private plane (under camo, insured etc) can it simply be used or is there a paper exercise?
If one runs a UK dto could the instruction take place in another country or only within the UK?
Thank you for an pointers!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Make sure that the airplane is airworthy and insured for flight training.

I would say that you can instruct within any EASA member state without problems. A UK DTO could have a satellite in another country. Perhaps you could even do it in a third country outside of Europe but I think that is pushing it a bit.

ESSZ, Sweden

Thanks fly310
Apart from declaring the aircraft to be used is there any other paperwork required? Where in the regulations is this specified?

always learning
LO__, Austria

If one runs a UK dto could the instruction take place in another country or only within the UK?

I would check this very carefully and get it in writing.

The UK CAA has a very long history of banning any formally required training flights outside UK airspace. One famous IR instructor tried to get it approved (Calais especially is a popular option because it is free to shoot approaches all day, if you don’t land, and you don’t need the GAR form if you don’t land) but AFAIK failed, and last I heard he packed up his operation.

You can do the infamous “cross channel checkout” to Le Touquet etc with an FI in the RHS, and log it as a training flight, but that is not a “required” training flight, for the PPL or for anything else whatever. It is just a school/club requirement before they will rent you a plane to fly there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The UK CAA has a very long history of banning any formally required training flights outside UK airspace.

Years ago I did a large part of my PPL with a UK school at La Rochelle – fond memories

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I don’t think that falls into what you mean by “required” flights, but I did (as instructor) the 1h flight someone needed to do on a flight from the UK to Ostend (and back).

L3 ((formerly?) operating as CTS in Bournemoth) has an outfit in Portugal and I’m wondering if they are operating on UK or Portuguese approval

@tumbleweed might know more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One thing that occurs to me is that I’m pretty sure previous instruction (done in another) counts for required hours for ratings. It would be weird if the CAA “preferred” it to be a national instructor than a UK one.

I did part of my required night hours in Norway (norwegian instructor and norwegian plane) and the CAA didn’t seem to find an issue in it.

My prior is that this is what would be called an old wives tale

As far as I know, lot of training happens outside UK under UK CAA oversight (at least in south of Spain)

The only glitch I heard of was UK CAA getting sensitive when English Proficiency is signed by a non-UK examiner (one examiner told me that lot of attempts for his initial PPL issue of his students did bounced back, then him sending a full documentation package, fyi he has an Irish FE licence that also show he is an English man from Essex )

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Also, some did their allmost the full PPL training while touring in France (not sure what was the arrangement with CAA if any), so dont see why doing the same for a full IR will be different?

So not sure what is the background on “calais approach training ban”, playing the devil advocate: would combining a cross-channel check with approach training work?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message