Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for someone (instructor/pilot) who can help me prep for the EASA IR skill test

Based on the assumption that the EASA FCL derogation will no longer be renewed in 2019, I am planning to do my FAA IR conversion to my EASA licence in the next 2-3 months.

I already have an examiner in Germany lined up who has flown instrument approaches with me on several occasions, and also I fly sufficient simulated and hard IMC approaches so that I am not worried about meeting the minimum test standards for normal procedures and situations. I am however not too sure about my level of proficiency with respect to abnormal procedures and situations, i.e. primarily partial-panel flying, as it is not something I have practised recently (and thinking about, should have irrespective of an upcoming test!).

I would therefore like to find someone (ideally an flight instructor who is experienced with EASA IR students) in the Blackbushe area to do some specific targeted exercises based on IR skill test test standards (in particular, abnormal situations, such as unusual attitude recoveries and AHRS and/or ADC failures on the G1000) but have struggled over the past few weeks to find someone.

Do you know of someone (including yourself) who would have time on weekends to fly with me? I am happy to come to that person as long as it is not further away than about an hour from EGLK.

Last Edited by wbardorf at 29 Dec 11:57
EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

If you do the checkride in Germany, I strongly suggest you do your “test prep” in Germany, with a German IR instructor. It will all just be too different in the UK to make sense.
In fact, would fly exactly those approaches at that specific airfield which you expect for your test. That’s how you really get ready for a checkride, where the stress level is always high, so some familiarity helps. The very best thing is to find an instructor who knows the preferences of that particular examiner.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the suggestion.

Without going into too many details, I fortunately know the examiner reasonably well and have flown approaches (including previously for the FAA IR practical test which I did in Germany) into the various airports around EDFE with instructors and myself, covering the airfields that would be one of the potential airports (including practising the EDFM LOC approach) but have come to remember that I have not recently done unusual attitudes and AHRS/ADC failures, which should be location/country system-agnostic.

Not intending to sound overconfident but wanted to avoid topic-creep as I am still trying to find a locally-based instructor or IR-rated pilot, including for other purposes such as flying simulated IMC approaches for the purpose of keeping my FAA IR current. (I am aware that any non-IR FI or any current PPL could be my safety pilot, however I had the rather interesting experience last time flying with a non-IR FI who had never flown in class A and with a G1000 before…).

I see. That said, during FAA —> EASA checkride in 2015, the examner never wanted to see ANY instrument malfunctions / limited panel flying or so. He didn’t even want me to use a hood at all. We essentially just drew a few tracks on the radar plots. And I did NOT previously know this examiner. That said, YOUR examiner might expect you to show him some of this stuff. But I don’t know how an instructor could be of particular help for you there. Just know what has be done in case of electrical (or screen) malfunctions and train flying an approach like that (with a safety pilot). I wouldn’t overdo it.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I can do this ex-Blackbushe. PM me.

EGKB Biggin Hill

In fact, would fly exactly those approaches at that specific airfield which you expect for your test. That’s how you really get ready for a checkride, where the stress level is always high, so some familiarity helps. The very best thing is to find an instructor who knows the preferences of that particular examiner.

I think that is true everywhere. It has certainly been true here in the UK, and the FTOs here work this aspect heavily.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I already have an examiner in Germany lined up who has flown instrument approaches with me

Surely it is up to the Competent Authority to nominate the Examiner for an initial Test!

Tumbleweed wrote:

Surely it is up to the Competent Authority to nominate the Examiner for an initial Test!

No, for ICAO IR to EASA IR conversions, the German CAA allows someone to nominate an examiner. The official process is that the examiner sends the German CAA a notification about the impending skill test and they have 2 working days to object.

A reasonable English Google translation for non-German speakers can be found here

Nice to see there is a level playing field between EASA states

wbardorf wrote:

Based on the assumption that the EASA FCL derogation will no longer be renewed in 2019,

You may be right . . . and as the years roll by, one can assume that at some stage you will be.
But after having held a FAA IR for 18 years and being told every year this would happen, I wouldn’t bet on it.
With the uncertainty of Brexit etc., I am keeping my options open and will cross that bridge if/when we finally get to it.
Meanwhile, I am spending my money on enjoying touring by air!

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message