Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Spinning in a C152 - beyond immediate recovery

Mine has the sae text but with the addition that it is approved for the following maneruvers:
- Lazy Eight
- Chandelle
- Stall
- Steep Turns
- Spin

And there’s a WHOLE chapter about spins. How it is done best, about the recovery and all that… over 2 pages!

(It’s a german manual from 1980)

Weird. Mine has none of the above. Only a short para about spin recovery if entered inadvertently. Mine’s in English, presumably the US version.

But now the plot thickens:

In the Normal category it lists as approved, wait for it:
- Lazy Eight
- Chandelle
- Stall
- Steep Turns

and then goes on to say ‘spins are not approved’

The next para covers the Utility category, which I quoted verbatim in my earlier post. How strange….

Very interesting … and strange …
I have also flown about 5 or 6 diferent other 172s, and they were ALL approved for spinnuing by POH!

Also a 172SP I have flown was approved for spins

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 29 Dec 20:35

In the UK you apparently can’t intentionally spin a Tomahawk unless it has a harness fitted (rather than a belt). I haven’t seen the relevant rule but this could explain a discrepancy between what you ‘can’ do in a c172 and what the poh says you can do.

The 172s I did fly (Reims versions) were all certified in the Normal category, and in addition for the Utility category as long as certain weight and C and G envelope limits were adhered to. Spinning was only allowed in the utility category; effectively limiting spinning to two people with tanks not quite full.

Biggin Hill
86 Posts
Sign in to add your message