Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FNPT2 Sim Instruction question

A check of my understanding on sim instruction if anyone out there can confirm / add info please – thinking of approved FNPT2 as usually found in IR training:

If instructing on a MEP type (e.g. DA42 ALSIM FNPT) I think you need CRI(ME) instructing privileges – not just IR privileges?

Does Class 1 medical need to be current for sim instructing? (I think yes as need valid medical to exercise licence privileges?)

How do instructors log sim instructing? (if they do at all? do it count towards instructional hours for reval etc..?)

Now retired from forums best wishes

I don’t have a direct reference to regulations, but I did once receive simulator IR instruction from a pilot who was forced to retire from an airline when he lost his medical.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

The IRI(A) in combination with SEP allows instruction for IR on a MEP FNPT. Class 1 medical is not required.

always learning
LO__, Austria

It would be bizzare if a medical was needed for sim instruction. I have known lots of instructors who lost their medicals and were able to do ground instruction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am no expert, but I spend a lot of time with Part FCL and stumbled upon a few interesting ratings and certificates, including one which may apply to your question:
The STI (synthetic training instructor) acc. FCL.905.STI seems to be a certificate allowing to carry out flight instruction in simulators for licences, class- , type- and instrument ratings on single-pilot non-complex non-HPA. (For those, there is the SFI).

Since for that certificate you only have to have held a licence, not to hold it while you’re instructing, you don’t need a medical for that. This is backed by MED.A.030 which lists the required combinations of licences and medicals. The synthetic certificates are not mentioned. Further backup in GM1 FCL.900

Now one could argue that, without a medical, an instructor could fall back to the “lesser” rating. FCL.900 (a) to me could be read like this.

Additionally, FCL.905.FI (g) says a FI may instruct towards a ME IR only if he meets the requirements of a ME CRI as well. FCL.915.IRI (a) says basically the same for standalone IRIs.

Since I’m on my phone, I can’t quote from the regulations. It doesn’t cope well with large PDF. But I hope this was helpful!

(Edits due to missing references)

Last Edited by CharlieRomeo at 23 Oct 19:13
EDXN, ETMN, Germany
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message