Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying lessons with a self-declaration medical - a surprising holdup

I’ve written to the CAA to bring the issue to their attention. It’s a shame, assuming that interpretation is correct, as the self-declaration medical seemed a very positive initiative.

Thanks, Qalupalik. It would make intuitive sense if the only restriction was on student solos. Unfortunately I doubt it will sway my instructor, given that she has senior advice to the contrary, and I don’t blame her for this. Apparently it was given as an example when studying for the examiner’s ticket.

Last Edited by kwlf at 21 Jan 20:05

Your instructor is not fit for purpose. Get another one.

London, United Kingdom

I started the thread for discussion and urgent pragmatic advice, which your link to the examiner’s document provides admirably. But I really don’t want this to turn into a criticism of specific people and earlier I removed a reference to my home airfield to avoid people assuming they knew which flying school was involved – quite possibly wrongly as there are several in the general area.

The instructor was very apologetic for what was generally agreed to be a daft situation, and I don’t believe the interpretation of the rules was his own.

Last Edited by kwlf at 21 Jan 22:02

Well, the CAA has replied remarkably quickly and confirmed that I should be able to have a lesson on an EASA aircraft. 10/10 for responsiveness on their part.

Probably because much of Aviation House at Gatwick is on EuroGA 24/7

But they are still wrong. You can do the required flight in an Annex 1 too. That aspect was laid to rest some time ago – I believe it was this which would have created the ludicrous situation of an Annex 1 owner having to rent a certified plane for the flight every 2 years.

Any plane where the FI can be legally PIC must be sufficient. You log PU/T.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My own aircraft is a single seater so there was no question of an instructional flight in it. Though having said that I know of an ex-BA captain in New Zealand who would apparently fly his aircraft round the airfield for an hour with the instructor yelling ‘Show me a stall… Now a touch and go… etc.’ down the radio!

kwlf wrote:

Though having said that I know of an ex-BA captain in New Zealand who would apparently fly his aircraft round the airfield for an hour with the instructor yelling ‘Show me a stall… Now a touch and go… etc.’ down the radio!

FWIW this was the technique used by a trainer for the Russian (probably USSR) aerobatic team many years ago. He started it when he had an ear issue that prevented him for flying for a period, putting him into a ground training role. In the 90’s he moved to the US and used the same technique for paid training, making his living that way. I’ve watched him do it with pilots performing Unlimited maneuvers in single seat planes. I’m annoyed that I can’t remember his name.

(I remembered – Sergei Boriak)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jan 18:51

Probably because much of Aviation House at Gatwick is on EuroGA 24/7

Well, whether or not that is the case the answer to my query was remarkably quick and clear so what’s not to like.

Had I realised this would be the case I wouldn’t have discussed it on the forum. As I mentioned, the purpose of the thread was for discussion and advice and as far as possible not to embarrass anybody. I had some helpful suggestions on the thread and by PM and I’m fairly optimistic of getting things sorted this weekend which is essentially my last chance. So thanks to all.

Last Edited by kwlf at 22 Jan 22:24

I want to make two comments.

The fact that this question exists and the confusion it causes even examiners says something about the state of the way EASA writes regulation.

Also I want to point out that no one should be logging PU/T. Neither of the terms “PU/T” nor “pilot under training” exist in Part-Fcl regarding flight time. “Dual instruction time” or “Dual” is the correct way to log any time a pilot is receiving instruction in an aircraft.

Last Edited by Cttime at 23 Jan 10:24
Sweden

Thank you CTTIME !

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 10:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message