Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying lessons with a self-declaration medical - a surprising holdup

You will also find no reference in Part-FCL to the UK practice of pilots recording PICUS after passing a test check or assessment.

Look in CAP804 Part 1 (Sect 1 Part E Para 9J)

J Pilot undergoing any form flight test with a EASA or CAA Authorised Examiner (other than case K.
PICUS for successful Test – Enter time in ‘P1’ column and have it certified by aircraft commander.
P/UT for unsuccessful test (including partial pass) Enter time in ‘Dual’ column

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 22 Feb 22:01

Well done kwlf and thank you for bringing this to everyone’s attention. I am sure that if this happened to you, it must have happened to many others also.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

In one sense I approve of clarity. In another, it’s the feeling that these minutiae are important that got me into the trouble in the first place. From my perspective it’s hard to see the merit of it. Is the instructor’s liability different depending on what you’re called?

Anyway all’s well that ends well. I got my license signed today and had an enjoyable hour’s lesson in weather that was bad enough to put everyone else off (hence a lesson at short notice). Thanks again to all for the advice.

Last Edited by kwlf at 24 Jan 16:17

PICUS used to be denoted P1/S until JAA’s remit extended to flying training twenty years ago. In the pre-JAA days P1/S was not creditable towards the P1 experience requirements of higher classes/grades of licence. As a consequence it made little difference whether licensed pilots logged P1/S or PU/T after a club/rental checkout with an instructor. @Tumbleweed might add more. Present policy is in para 4.6.3 of the UK FEH:

Examiners are to countersign the applicants’ logbook as PICUS following a successful test or
check. PU/T is to be entered when the test is not passed or when the applicant does not hold a
current medical or class/type rating.

London, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

Sorry, it is used when you log a successful skills test, passed your PPL skill test, for example.

But Qalupalik just said that usage had no support in the regs!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Sorry, it is used when you log a successful skills test, passed your PPL skill test, for example.

EGTR

PICUS = Pilot In Command Under Supervision

EGTR

Qalupalik wrote:

You will also find no reference in Part-FCL to the UK practice of pilots recording PICUS after passing a test check or assessment.

Out of curiosity: When is PICUS applicable?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Part-FCL at FCL.050 leaves the form and manner of recording flight time to be established by the competent authority and UK ANO, art 228, only requires that the capacity in which the holder acted in flight is recorded. A pilot receiving dual instruction time acts in the capacity of a pilot under training and it makes no difference whether “dual” or “P U/T” or some variation thereof is recorded in a UK logbook. You will also find no reference in Part-FCL to the UK practice of pilots recording PICUS after passing a test check or assessment.

London, United Kingdom

Thank you CTTIME !

Last Edited by boscomantico at 23 Jan 10:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message