Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LAPL and extension to a new type

Ibra wrote:

You need difference training PA28-Warrior & PA28-Arrow: signed by FI/CRI in your logbook

To clarify what Bosco said for this specific case. There is no requirement for difference training when going from a Warrior to an Arrow unless the Arrow your first retract/VP aircraft.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I guess you understood wrong. There is no difference between LAPL vs LAPL on what is required to fly a new aircraft within the SEP (land) class.

So, familiarization (which does not even strictly require an instructor) for anything that doesn‘t have any „feature“ you haven‘t previously flown.

Differences training is only required if there is a „feature“ that is new for you. Also, take note that differences training does not require an examiner. An instructor (even just a CRI) is enough. The contents and extent of the training are at the discretion of the instructor.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Feb 20:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

LAPL does not have class & type ratings, it is restricted to SEP-L or TMG with MTOW less than 2000kg with “rolling currency” and LAPL test is restricted to class and variant (while PPL test is restricted to class)

For both,
- You need familiarisation between C152 & PA28-Warrior: you read POH on your own
- You need difference training PA28-Warrior & PA28-Arrow: signed by FI/CRI in your logbook
- You need school training and test between C152 & TMG: listed on your licence

Same people would call carbureted vs injected C172 different variants, Cherokee & Warrior different variants, black & white paint variants (while variants in EASA for SEP-L are TW, EFIS, RG, VP…TMG has no variants under it), if you are renting, you are stuck with their definition…

FCL.135.A LAPL(A) — Extension of privileges to another class or variant of aeroplane
(a) The privileges of an LAPL(A) shall be limited to class and variant of aeroplanes or TMG in which the skill test was taken. This limitation may be removed when the pilot has completed in another class the requirements below:
(1) 3 hours of flight instruction, including:
(i) 10 dual take-offs and landings; and
(ii) 10 supervised solo take-offs and landings.
(2) a skill test to demonstrate an adequate level of practical skill in the new class. During this skill test, the applicant shall also demonstrate to the examiner an adequate level of theoretical knowledge for the other class in the following subjects:
(i) Operational procedures;
(ii) Flight performance and planning; (iii) Aircraft general knowledge.
(b) Before the holder of an LAPL can exercise the privileges of the licence on another variant of aeroplane than the one used for the skill test, the pilot shall undertake differences or familiarisation training. The differences training shall be entered in the pilot’s logbook or equivalent document and signed by the instructor.

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Feb 20:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Sorry to revive the thread, but the information I’m looking for is better suited here IMO.

What I understand is that if you get an LAPL you can just fly that plane that you trained on, let’s say a Cessna 152. I’ve also seen here that the LAPL (as opposed to a PPL) mentions the information about the plane you trained on, and requires you to do a difference training if you want to rent another type of plane.

What if with a LAPL I’m looking to fly where I live, but they don’t have a Cessna 152, but a PA28, or a Robin DR400

1. Does this mean I can’t rent anything other than a Cessna 152 until I complete a difference training (under the supervision of an examiner) on the plane that’s available for me to rent?
  2. Does this limitation also apply to PPL? I’ve also read here that for PPL an examiner can write off that you “obtained” the difference training. In what way is this different than the LAPL case?
Last Edited by The99percenter at 05 Feb 20:10
Switzerland

Thank you Qualupalik. How EASA presents information in the 21st century is really a bad joke.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

@Caba

FCL.710 and FCL.725 were amended with effect from 11 Nov 2019. See the Dec 2019 consolidated Aircrew Regulation on EUR-Lex (link). Amendments done with effect from 11 Nov last year have not yet been incorporated into the FCL Easy Access Rules.

London, United Kingdom

I posted a Q on the medical stuff here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

few people want to limit their capability, given that the training and medical-requirements difference is negligible.

To some, the medical-requirements difference is what keeps them flying. PPL’s with medicals downgraded from Class 2 are a significant part of the LAPL population.
Otherwise, I agree.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Perhaps don’t need to would be more appropriate however; they can do the dual training required for currency, differences training, aeros; towing etc and they can do the conversion to TMG or Aeroplane if required.

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 28 Feb 17:56

Thanks for those clarifications Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed wrote:

Don’t overcomplicate things

Someone recently told me CRIs can’t teach LAPL holders as the LAPL does not contain any class rating

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message