Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Post virus instructing

172driver wrote:

but given the average age there – in their 30s – I wouldn’t be surprised if it came from outside the school. Party time, anyone ?

My last party was my 30th bday. Years ago. „In their 30s“ people have no time to party ;)

always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Is anyone aware of any data on instructors having caught the virus “probably” while instructing?

So far we’ve had over 1000 training hours in my club this year, most of which have been done by three instructors (laid off airline pilots). None of them got the virus. (Or at least they haven’t noticed.)

Anecdotally, of course, but at least a data point.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Peter wrote:

Is anyone aware of any data on instructors having caught the virus “probably” while instructing?

Yes. One of the flight schools at my base has just shut down for a week because two instructors have tested positive for Covid. I don’t think anyone knows where they got it, but given the average age there – in their 30s – I wouldn’t be surprised if it came from outside the school. Party time, anyone ?

I know someone who has been on 30 airline flights (full!) since March, always with a stranger directly sitting next to him, and he didn’t catch it as well.

always learning
LO__, Austria

To the best of my knowledge, none of our instructors caught the virus, and we’ve been instructing more or less as usual. One of our mechanics caught the virus, but it didn’t get passed on to anyone.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

One would think that by now there would be some visible, if there if any at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well. There has never been a shortage of people wanting to take PPL. The problem has been having enough instructors. The result is there have been little or no advertising. The natural stream of interested people have been enough.

Today there is an abundance of instructors. With a little bit of advertising, the number if interested people could easily be doubled. Not that all of them would go through the courses to the end though.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Snoopy wrote:

Those airline guys that instructed part time before covid19 now instruct more or full time.

That’s what we’re seeing in my club. The instruction flight hours this year are so far up 34% compared to the whole of 2019! Today we had our yearly information meeting for people interested in LAPL/PPL training. There was no shortage – at least as many people last year.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Those airline guys that instructed part time before covid19 now instruct more or full time.

always learning
LO__, Austria

There is over two year waiting list for instructor rating course

Most airline pilots today were spared having to pay their dues flying Navajos or instructing so most need to spend time: getting an FI ticket; then instructing PPL to get unrestricted; then getting CPL and Night privileged; then PIC time in an MEP to get a MEP privilege; etc etc

Unfortunately if any thing there is a structural shortage of qualified professional integrated instructors.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
69 Posts
Sign in to add your message