Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cirrus CSIP Training, does it bring you something ?

I am not aware of any SR22 in UK or US that one can RENT without CSIP course even with load of logged hours in Cirrus? It seems to me that’s just how things works, in France, I got the chance to fly an aeroclub SR22 after 3h check with a “random FI” but they did mention the need for specific instructor or “the cheif pilot touch” for Night/IFR on them

In the US, the above is not Cirrus specific, in one LA FBO, they would not let you go loose in their “high performance SR22” or “complex performance Arrow” without +10h course with their Complex or Cirrus instructors

For SR20 it’s different, both in UK & US, I got the keys after 1h checkout flight and lengthy breif

I understand owners can fly SR22 without CSIP but it seems to lower their insurance premium before having 25h make/model

I have been “instructor & pax” in one when the tail hits the ground, I don’t have CSIP course certficate and luckily the CSIP rated pilot assumed his PIC role and I stayed in my PAX role as we discussed CSIP was required by his rental agreement…

I would not fly dual in SR22 with some CSIP instructors we have in the UK, someone told me it was just an expensive box ticking exercise amd recomanded doing it in the US…

Last Edited by Ibra at 31 Aug 11:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I can only speak for N-reg SR22s for which there is no CSIP requirement to fly them. A former school used to have an SR22 for rent but it was too expensive compared to the other planes so it didn’t fly much. In any case, an SR22 is more suited for private ownership / small club usage anyway, not so much for rental purposes – that’s asking for trouble. Most requirements are insurance-driven, especially for HP/complex planes, but in my experience, having done a CSIP course didn’t make a difference in premiums. The thing that matters most is experience (again, speaking about N-reg / insurance). Going back to the original question, I still think it is not worth the $$$ to get CSIP approved.

Life is not a dress rehearsal, it is ...
EBGB KGAI, Belgium

You mean no need for CSIP course to rent N-reg SR22 in Belgium, Europe or US?

Legally there is no such requirement. Insurance is a different matter.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 31 Aug 16:00
always learning
LO__, Austria

I did the CSIP Training in Italy. Honestly a waste of time and a big waste of money. They force you to fly the plane like a monkey, with the “stabiized approach philosophy” that means that you have to be stabilized at 500 feet, otherwise “go Around”. (in many High elevation airfiled you perform the traffic patthern at 500 AGL) They stress a lot on the use of CAPS (the parachute) that has to be taken as the only choice for an emergency landing above 500 feet AGL"
In Italy there are two school where you can rent SR20/22/22T on your own but on both you have to do the CSIP before.
However there are also some other places with a 22 or 22T, but first of all is difficult to rent (sometimes is a private owned a/c used by the club/school) and if you want to fly it legally (worst case scenario a SR22T) if not previously owned on your log you have to complete SLPC (Single lever power commander) usuay in the same familiarization flight, EFIS (2 hrs) and TURBO (2 hrs).
Cirrus a/c are woderful plane for who do not know how to fly an a/c in tricky situation. Be aware that you will NEVER learn how avoid a Spin (i’m not talking how to recover from a Spin).
What I may suggest in this case, if you know a club that own or is planning to share with the owner a Cirrus to provide instructions, well you can talk about with them.
Otherwise a waste of money. All the stuff that you have to know about SR’x series you can read on the books, or on a good APP/PC/MAC simulator for a G1000. The remaining is a SEP. About the performance, if you ever flew a Light MEP as DA42, or Seneca, is the same (with much less things to do)

Italy

Peter wrote:

In the US the insurance companies are a lot more proactive on Cirrus training than here in Europe,

Snoopy wrote:

… insurance treats it as a bog standard single.

Well, exactly. Our club is just now looking at potentially adding a SR22 to our fleet, but given the insurance requirements, this is unlikely to happen. They certainly do not treat it as just another bog standard single but want 400 TT, IR, 100 hours make and model or, failing the latter, the CSIP course.

Last Edited by 172driver at 03 Sep 23:49

@pino
Confirm you are a current CSIP?

CSIP = Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilot

Cirrus Embark = Cirrus training syllabus for differences training. Free from Cirrus if you buy one (used or new).

Non instructors can’t even do a CSIP course, so this insurance requirement is ridiculous.

I hope it doesn’t become like this in europe.

always learning
LO__, Austria

172driver wrote:

They certainly do not treat it as just another bog standard single but want 400 TT, IR, 100 hours make and model

Just curious, how many people in your club have that to skip doing CSIP? most people I know to have that are SR22 owners already…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Sep 09:29

Yes, there is maybe a misunderstanding about what is CSIP. It’s a course wich is open for instructors in order for owners to be sure that the FIs they are flying with have a kind of “certified competency” directly from Cirrus.
It can be done only in the US or (maybe but not sure) in Poznan.

frequent_flyer wrote:

Yes, there is maybe a misunderstanding about what is CSIP. It’s a course wich is open for instructors in order for owners to be sure that the FIs they are flying with have a kind of “certified competency” directly from Cirrus.

Yes but the CSIP FIs conducting SR22 checkouts will not just do 1h of general handling and give the keys, they will go and do 6h/12h lengthy course to teach (or checkout) PPL on how to fly a Cirrus VFR/IFR, what do we call this course?

By the time you are talking about 10h at 700$/h, “type rating” would be a more appropriate name ?

For someone pilot/instructor who does not own Cirrus, I think Harvard T6 course may offer better value for money IMO (or PA46 for those after TR/TRI tickets )

Sign in to add your message