Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good news for instructors - class rating revalidations

From now, next time a Danish FI attends an Instructor’s Seminar, a lesson in putting renewed SEP ratings in the pilot’s certificate will be included in the seminar.

Soory to be picky, but as it is important: an FI can not renew, only revalidate.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thus leaving qualified pilots with no option to go flying for the first couple of weeks after successfully passing the Skill Test – at least that is the case in Denmark, despite AOPA aggressively working our “CAA” to issue new certificates quicker.

Wow. One of my students had the skill test last Monday and on Thursday morning the licence was in his postbox – and that despite the fact that the examiner had a day delay to hand in the skill test protocol. Plus the people can fly for themselves with a Flugauftrag from their FI…

But yes, a temporary (or the final) licence handed out direktly after passing the skill test would be a sensible thing nonetheless.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I’ve issued quite a few SRG1100 temp certificates now (and had one myself), seems to be working ok

Now retired from forums best wishes

boscomantico wrote:

Soory to be picky, but as it is important: an FI can not renew, only revalidate.

Absolutely. Let’s agree that there is enough confusion about all this as it is. Yes, revalidation is what this is all about. I’ll go and write it 100 times on the blackboard.

Last Edited by huv at 25 Jun 20:14
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Warning – this gets a little FI-nerdy.

The first “FCL.945-rated” instructors in Denmark were authorised yesterday on a brief course by the CAA, and I was among them.
The FCL.945 authorisation allows FI’s and CRI’s to attest revalidations of SEP(land) and TMG according to FCL.740.A(b)(1) – i.e. the 12th hour rule.

However, there was a surprising restriction with the authorisation. The training flight has to be done after the other conditions have been met.

I often advice pilots to fly the training flight (“12th hour”) as the first flight of the season, when most pilots tend to be a little rusty. Pilots with an expiry date later that year can then fly the remaining hours by themselves, and when they have the required hours and landings, requirements are met and the SEP rating can be renewed with a new 24 months validity.

That, however, is not allowed by an FCL.945-authorised FI, only by an examiner or CAA.
The CAA officer giving the course seemed surprised that many of us questioned that interpretation, but he was unable to satisfy us with an explanation.

FCL.945 reads: “Upon completion of the training flight for the revalidation of an SEP or TMG class rating in accordance with FCL.740.A(b)(1) and only in the event of fulfilment of all the other revalidation criteria …”
and it seems the phrase “upon completion of the training flight” is taken to mean “immediately after the training flight”. You cannot just wait for the pilot to fly any missing hours and then sign him off.

Any FCL.945-authorised FI’s from other countries – do you have the same restriction?

Last Edited by huv at 25 Mar 08:29
huv
EKRK, Denmark

First off, in Germany, there is a blanket authorisation for all FI (A) s to revalidate SEP/TMG class ratings.

I am not aware about such interpretation in Germany. In fact, “upon” does not mean “immediately after”.

Anyway, this might just be one of the many things that CAAs interpret differenty aross Europe. On a practical level, you simply have to live with what “your” CAA asks for. Same rules all over Europe, down to the details? A pipe dream.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Mar 09:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

simply have to live with

No thanks, I’ll fight.

:-)

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Interesting. I happen to be in the situation that my “training flight” for the past 12 month period was done before I had accumulated 12 hours. I just sent the form to the Swedish CAA. I wonder if they will complain…

One difference from what @huv writes is that the form was signed by a CRE and not a FCL.945-authorised FI — if that makes any difference.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

CRE and not a FCL.945-authorised FI — if that makes any difference

I think not – FCL.945 does not distinguish.

Airborne Again, I would be very interested to know whether Transportstyrelsen will accept your revalidation. With reference to the I’ll fight bit …

Correction – it does make a difference; a CRE is an examiner, I confused that with CRI. The CRI is equal to an FI with respect to FCL.945. For an examiner, FCL.945 has no significance. Airborne Again – your CAA will no doubt accept your situation as satisfactory for revalidation. It would be interesting to know if they would also do that if your revalidation was administered by an FCL.945-FI/CRI,

Last Edited by huv at 25 Mar 17:25
huv
EKRK, Denmark
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message