Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Good news for instructors - class rating revalidations

hello,

is there any UK FE that can sign off my revalidation by experiance GBR EASA PPL (i did do my 1hrs ride with a EASA FI)
help would greatly appriciate

thanks

fly2000

The Danish “CAA” just turned down my application for the authorisation. Nothing personal :-) as I understand it; they just decided not to issue such authorisations. There was no reason given in the answer. My first guess is that they are too understaffed to be able to treat the subject and determine a procedure for giving the authorisations.

Last Edited by huv at 20 Apr 13:02
huv
EKRK, Denmark

HUV, if that is the case, there is a very strong argument to outsource everything to CAA in the UK, LBA in Germany or someone else. They could even run a proper EU procurement process and let the other 24 national CAAs tender for it.

EGTR

France applies it.

just one hiccup apparently :
– if you’re a French FI you can do the prolongation and sign it
– if you’re FI from another CAA, you can also do the prolongation but are not allowed to sign the license !

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

For completeness, the UK CAA do allow instructors to revalidate SEP and TMG class ratings (including endorsing the licence).
An updated information notice #34 was published mid April 2015

All new FI and CRI(A) instructor ratings automatically include these privileges.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

PapaPapa wrote:

– if you’re FI from another CAA, you can also do the prolongation but are not allowed to sign the license !

That is not necessarily a problem. I am in that case although my issuing authority is Norway. I just send the paperwork to NO CAA and they send me a new license with the required endorsements.

When I renew my MEP or IR, it has to be done by a FE and he is allowed to endorse the license as laid out in the examiner differences document.

LFPT, LFPN

Whilst the CAA has authorised instructors in accordance with FCL 945, it has not issued them with any instructions or guidance which has already resulted in a number of incorrect entries in licences.

Another document wiith no instructions has emereged, SRG 1100 [ local copy ] facilitating the issue of “Temporary Certificates”. Even the CAA do not seem to understand that the Aircrew Regulation comes from the EU Commission, not EASA!

Well the UK CAA has, from the beginning, regarded anything coming from EU as advisory only. Just look at the total number of SRG’s and IN’s describing exemptions not allowed by EASA law. New ones coming out every month.
In the case of temporary certificates I think the UK CAA has it right, and EASA is wrong. EASA explicitly prohibits examiners from issuing temporary certificates (as they have always done before, without any problems I have heard of). Thus leaving qualified pilots with no option to go flying for the first couple of weeks after successfully passing the Skill Test – at least that is the case in Denmark, despite AOPA aggressively working our “CAA” to issue new certificates quicker. This spring I had a student waiting 5 weeks before he could fly as PIC! That is simply not acceptable and although the long wait cannot be blamed on EASA they should allow for a more reasonable procedure.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

In the case of FCL.945, the Danish CAA now has moved in the right direction. From now, next time a Danish FI attends an Instructor’s Seminar, a lesson in putting renewed SEP ratings in the pilot’s certificate will be included in the seminar. I donot know of other coutries in general, but in Sweden, FCL.945 has been used for some time already – Swedish CAA has a manual and a form to fill in on its website. Of course, errors will be made, but that is the case already with lots of incorrect cert entries made by the Flight Examiners, and in the end the bureaucracy should be reduced a little bit by FCL.945.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

EASA explicitly prohibits examiners from issuing temporary certificates (as they have always done before, without any problems I have heard of)

In the FAA system you get a signed certificate from the examiner (DPE, or FAA Staff) and you can fly immediately.

It is a correct way to do it IMHO. You passed so you have the privileges…

If there is some problem with that certificate (very rare but e.g. I know of cases where the DPE had been banned by the FAA at the time) the FAA won’t issue the new Rating, but you don’t find that out for some months.

I think the UK CAA tries hard to keep people flying where they are entitled to fly. They fought hard for the IMC Rating, as one big example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message