Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EFIS endorsement

Some people claim that the Dynon Skyview found on many LSA can be used for the EFIS endorsement. Even had an instructor claim that you actually need such endorsement to fly with that.

I’m pretty confident that you cannot use non certified avionics because then we would need an endorsement to fly with an iPad … doesn’t make any sense.

what do you guys think ?

Do you need an EFIS endorsement? Never heard of that !

EGHS

Yes, if you want to fly an airpland with a glass cockpit you need that. I would highly recommend it too … even for VFR, because it takes some time …
My learning curve had three phases:
1. I always press the wrong button and find it hard to find the speed, altitude … First ten hours
2. I manage ok … first 50 hours
3. I would never go back … now

CAP804 has a couple of pages about this. There’s a nuance with the word “should” in there (advised but not mandatory), otherwise we’d all be running off for extra training for every aircraft. The key difference for me was the way the AI, turn/slip and speed/altitude are displayed and that can take a little getting used to.

Differences training requires both theoretical knowledge and training on an appropriate training device or an aeroplane. The instructors and training providers who may give the training are detailed in subsequent paragraphs.

I did mine in a combination of FNPT2 and airborne as part of my IR training. FWIW my view would be that EFIS sign off is legally needed prior to solo flight with a Dynon Skyview as primary flight display

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

I’ve been flying DA40’s and 42 with G1000, C510 with G1000, TB20 with dual Aspens for years and never done any endorsement ! (N reg though).

EGHS

Many do that. But just because you “do” it doesn’t really make it legal, does it? I do not know about N-reg though.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Jul 09:43

There is no such thing as an EFIS endorsement in the FARs.

EGTK Oxford

Flyer59 wrote:

Yes, if you want to fly an airpland with a glass cockpit you need that. I would highly recommend it too … even for VFR, because it takes some time …

You mean flying with an instructor who’s got the authority to sign off but who himself has no clue at all about your EFIS? Like in 90% of the cases? I have never met any FI that knows even a fraction of what I knew before I even bought my glass cockpit, just by studying the manuals in detail and going on forums. Least of all the one who signed me off.

It’s a charade how EASA do it. It works for the other simple things like RG, Turbo, VP, etc. but for EFIS, the difference is so large that assuming an FI will be able to show you something is a wrong one.

I did learn a few good techniques from airliner captains but those were generic and the guy would have to study my EFIS in detail to apply them.

I would just scrap the EFIS endorsement. Everybody should be mature enough to know what he’s doing and to seek help when he’s not comfortable. I have no problem with people flying G1000 who only know how to set the QNH and use the DCT button.

No that’s (obviously) not what I mean. I mean flying with somebody who is an expert with the glass cockpit I want to fly.
If you scrap that, why not scrap all ratings? Why shouldn’t i self-teach myself to fly IFR? Aerobatics?

The endorsement might be useless for Hitech-Affecionandos and Fanatics like you, or many of us. I flew my Cirrus with some people from my club some time ago and none of them had the slightest idea of what I was doing. And they all fly much longer than me. And really, what’s the big deal about doing the endorsement? You find somebody who knows how it works for an hour and afterwards you practice yourself.

I have no problem with people flying G1000 who only know how to set the QNH and use the DCT button.

Is that for IFR too?

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 05 Jul 10:18

Let’s separate the need for a legal signoff from what is sensible to have.

I would be especially amazed if you needed a signoff to fly behind a Dynon, since that implies a homebuilt aircraft I see a 200% compliance there!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
72 Posts
Sign in to add your message