Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Teaching GPS as the primary means of navigation for the PPL

Only, if the instructor doesn’t tell the student why he does so. For teaching the principles of airborne orientation, the ease of using a good moving map and “cheating” with it during the lesson can be negative of the student understanding what the instructor likes to teach.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

There is a proposal here local copy to include GPS in the UK PPL skills test.

How likely is this to be adopted, and how would schools solve the question of which device and which software to install in the plane (in some sort of holder, presumably)?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The full paper has been published and I understand is being looked at by a number of key areas.

In my opinion – this is now a ‘just do it’ issue. The infringement issue has been well discussed, and formally published comment from a criminal prosecution has specifically highlighted GNSS usage factors. Personally, I am now of the opinion to deny students GNSS capability in today’s airspace (and with the ease of equipment provision) is negligent.

Now retired from forums best wishes

Ps the which device / which software point is a well worn load of hoop trotted out by training sector people.

A multitude of tablets from cheapo to top of the range ipad do the job, as does a whole range of software. All that is needed is a location presentation on a map display of some type.

As for mounting, just look at any commercial airline cockpit to see tablet and suck on mount in use. Carry on equipment is fine in a GA cockpit.

As an examiner, I see literally hundreds of different avionic installations – ‘we can’t teach GPS because there isn’t a standard fit’ is again total hoop IMHO.

Now retired from forums best wishes

I absolutely agree – Nike principle, just do it:

For the first couple of X/Cs the GPS is off so that they build confidence with map, time and compass. Then we build learning of situational awareness combining map & compass with VOR tracking (lots of practice to and from) and fixes, then GPS. Before they escape with their PPL, I give them a comprehensive session with a well known app on a mobile device in 3D (okay, it’s SD) which is how they will probably do it in the real world.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

My local DTO has introduced GPS training as part of all licence training.

I think it’s a real shame the competent authority hasn’t taken a lead on this. Personally I feel it should be part of the skills test a point that is velomenty refused by our local CAA examiner. Who is of the opinion it that it shouldn’t be taught at all.

Bathman wrote:

My local DTO has introduced GPS training as part of all licence training.

My feeling ATM is this is pure nonsense. It’s like having to use an EFIS as part of the PPL. You don’t learn anything by using a moving map GPS, except the idiosyncrasies of the designer of the interface. With the old way, you learn how to plan a trip using first principles approach. It’s these principles that are worth learning, not some obscure and soon to be outdated point and click interface, made by a geek.

I mean, increased situational awareness is a good thing, but first you need to learn the situation itself.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

GPS (or rather, GNSS) is already part of the PPL TK and is tested in the written navigation exam, so I don’t see any reason why it couldn’t be part of the skill test.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Who is of the opinion it that it shouldn’t be taught at all.

How old is this guy? Is he a CAA staff examiner or an “industry” examiner?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

GPS (or rather, GNSS) is already part of the PPL TK

And so was VOR, DME and ADF when I took my PPL (maybe it still is?). However, it’s not relevant when doing a skill test because it’s not a part of the necessary skills needed to fly VFR. I have a hard time seeing the issue here. Any technology that increases SA is good, because it gives you more information, more precise information, and/or duplicated information, faster information, better displayed information, that together will give you a better picture of what is going on. But there are no skills involved with this, other than knowing which buttons to push of any particular technology. The core skill, is still to get from A to B without additional black boxes, so that you can use any additional black box, any and all existing and new technology to do it better.

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. The regulations today are written so that we can use whatever we want (or not use anything at all, just map and compass). This is the best we can hope for. If you want to use a GPS moving map, then do it. If you want to use a GTN 750, then do it. If you want to use some fancy space age INS, then do it. Learning to use a paper map, compass and a watch is a very cheap price for this freedom. Think about the alternative. You wouldn’t be able to fly without a 1990 GPS for instance. How stupid is that?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message