Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Teaching GPS as the primary means of navigation for the PPL

The strength of traditional navigation is that it requires very little in terms of equipment.

That is true but it works only in feature-rich terrain and only then if you don’t screw up. So basically you have to be a very good pilot.

I would never regard dead reckoning as a backup for a GPS. You have to be very sharp and on top of your game to do DR – except somewhere where everything is blindingly obvious e.g. following the coast from La Rochelle to Biarritz, or Lydd to Plymouth. The best backup would be a second GPS (a separate antenna, etc). After that, VOR/DME.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, it’s bought by higher requirements in terms of skill (and time and energy). And it certainly matters where you fly. This is what I was really getting at: If you want to remove traditional navigation via mandating additional equipment, single GPS isn’t enough. When I rely on GPS, I have at least two independent units. And since our part of the world isn’t a barren desert, I try to keep my awareness of where I’m.

I think the current way in which navigation is taught for the PPL is not fit for purpose. In fact I think it is dangerous and positively encourages airspace busts.

We have recently had to change our QXC route to a different airfield (due airfield closure) and this is right up against Class D airspace. Another school uses this route and busts the class D airspace at least twice a year.

Now I am of the opinion that it’s only a matter of time before one of our student’s does exactly the same and feel the best only way to prevent this is to use GPS navigation and/or feature crawling.

In fact if I was forced to find this airfield by dead reckoning I would aim about 10 miles to the west allowing me to pick up a major UK motorway and would then use this to feature crawl to the destination. However such a navigation technique if used on a PPL skills test would result in fail!

This airfield used to have an NDB but that’s now been turned off. VOR coverage in that area at GA levels is poor and will effectively be none existent when a nearby VOR gets turned off in a few years time. Plus using VOR for a position fix is at best accurate within a couple of miles.

In light of this I want to start to teach the student how to do the lot using GPS. I would get the student to use a tablet as well as the ancient Garmin 150 which is fitted to one of our aircraft. I would also chuck the CRP-1 in the bin – as if ever there is ever a planning error going to be made its due to using such a relic (and not a phone app)

However I’ve already run into some problems when I aired my thoughts to the local examiner. Who is of the opinion that if you can’t navigate with a map, compass and stopwatch then your not fit to fly. He also thinks that these busts are due to lack of training on flying schools part.

Another problem is that all the commercially available PPL books have little if any practical reference to GPS bar the “rubbish in rubbish out” one liner.

I’ve got an examiner seminar next month and I’m thinking about airing my thoughts. Does anyone here have any opinions or has any written material that they are currently using. I discussed it with another school (ATO) and they have some reservations about having to re write their manuals and get them approved etc

So … you haven’t been teaching the use of GPS in the past?

I think GPS should be integral part of navigation training and we do teach the use of different GPS, depending on what is in the aircraft. The officials are reluctant to accept (even a panel mounted) tablet as GPS, so we concentrate on the principles and use the devices at hand. There is one distinct nogo though: Not fixed tablets or handhelds. If one student wants to use his tools / tablets, it has to be fixed in the aircraft.

Nonetheless, since more and more devices rely on consumer electronics, we insist that more traditional forms of navigation needs to be mastered. Pilotage works as a last resort, even if you use feature crawling. VORs are great to construct “artificial” features in addition to the use of GPS. I think it is unwise to have equipment installed, that one can’t use.

Since 1999, there has been a separate textbook for satellite navigation at PPL level in Germany (http://www.amazon.de/Der-Privatflugzeugf%C3%BChrer-Satellitennavigation-GPS-Band/dp/3921270146). GNSS navigation is part of EASA flight training syllabus, so I see no basis of denying at least the installed GPS.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Bathman wrote:

In fact I think it is dangerous and positively encourages airspace busts.

We all have transponders, and these are required to be “on” for all flights. The ATC know exactly where we are, it’s plotted on their maps, at least at and near controlled airspaces. The whole “busting” concept is rather odd. It’s like if an old fashion traffic constable have you in sight, but refuses to signal to you that you have to stop.

Bathman wrote:

In fact if I was forced to find this airfield by dead reckoning I would aim about 10 miles to the west allowing me to pick up a major UK motorway and would then use this to feature crawl to the destination. However such a navigation technique if used on a PPL skills test would result in fail!

I got my PPL in 1992, and the only time ever I had to show dead reckoning was in 1992 when I did the test for PPL.I agree with you. Focus should be shifted from these strict procedural ancient stuff, to using what is available (GPS + moving map). When in the air, and you suddenly have to change the plan, no one would be fiddling with dead reckoning, everyone would use pure visual navigation (with or without GPS/moving map). To be good at visual navigation is much more important than dead reckoning.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I have never met a UK pilot who was exposed to GPS during PPL training.

However, I have heard there are some isolated schools which do teach it.

I recall a post by David Philips somewhere a few years ago (he runs or used to run a school) in which he listed the exercise numbers which cannot use a GPS, and all the others can. But the schools don’t want to because it would mean spending money on equipment, plus they are afraid it will erode the traditional skills which they also are required to teach.

I guess the main issue is that the PPL syllabus will never change to remove or even reduce the WW1 stuff, so whatever you do is going to increase the cost of a PPL, and nobody in the business wants that because most are struggling already to attract students. Every school has way too many instructors…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

in which he listed the exercise numbers which cannot use a GPS, and all the others can.

That’s easy, it is not Verboten on any flight, albeit it doesn’t make sense for the lesson in all cases. Of course, the comments are about the lesson only, not about getting back to the airfield or similar tasks around the lesson.

Excersice
1a Familiarisation with the aeroplane:
(A) characteristics of the aeroplane;
(B) cockpit layout;
(C) systems;
(D) checklists, drills and controls.
GPS does not add value
1b Emergency drills:
(A) action if fire on the ground and in the air;
(B) engine cabin and electrical system fire;
(C) systems failure;
(D) escape drills, location and use of emergency equipment andexits.
GPS does not add value
2 Preparation for and action after flight:
(A) flight authorisation and aeroplane acceptance;
(B) serviceability documents;
(C) equipment required, maps, etc.;
(D) external checks;
(E) internal checks;
(F) harness, seat or rudder panel adjustments;
(G) starting and warm-up checks;
(H) power checks;
(I) running down system checks and switching off the engine;
(J) parking, security and picketing (for example tie down);
(K) completion of authorisation sheet and serviceabilitydocuments.
GPS does not add value
3 Air experience: flight exercise.
4 Effects of controls:
(A) primary effects when laterally level and when banked;
(B) further effects of aileron and rudder;
(C) effects of:
(a) air speed;
(b) slipstream;
(c) power;
(d) trimming controls;
(e) flaps;
(f) other controls, as applicable.
(D) operation of:
(a) mixture control;
(b) carburettor heat;
(c) cabin heating or ventilation.
GPS does not add value
5a Taxiing:
(A) pre-taxi checks;
(B) starting, control of speed and stopping;
(C) engine handling;
(D) control of direction and turning;
(E) turning in confined spaces;
(F) parking area procedure and precautions;
(G) effects of wind and use of flying controls;
(H) effects of ground surface;
(I) freedom of rudder movement;
(J) marshalling signals;
(K) instrument checks;
(L) air traffic control procedures.
GPS does not add value
5b Emergencies: brake and steering failure. GPS does not add value
6 Straight and level:
(A) at normal cruising power, attaining and maintaining straight and level flight;
(B) flight at critically high air speeds;
(C) demonstration of inherent stability;
(D) control in pitch, including use of trim;
(E) lateral level, direction and balance and trim;
(F) at selected air speeds (use of power);
(G) during speed and configuration changes;
(H) use of instruments for precision.
GPS could be used to teach maintaining track, but is essentially not neccesary for this lesson
7 Climbing:
(A) entry, maintaining the normal and max rate climb and levelling off;
(B) levelling off at selected altitudes;
(C) en-route climb (cruise climb);
(D) climbing with flap down;
(E) recovery to normal climb;
(F) maximum angle of climb;
(G) use of instruments for precision.
GPS could be used to teach maintaining track, but is essentially not neccesary for this lesson
8 Descending:
(A) entry, maintaining and levelling off;
(B) levelling off at selected altitudes;
(C) glide, powered and cruise descent (including effect of power and air speed);
(D) side slipping (on suitable types);
(E) use of instruments for precision flight.
9 Turning:
(A) entry and maintaining medium level turns;
(B) resuming straight flight;
(C) faults in the turn (for example in correct pitch, bank and balance);
(D) climbing turns;
(E) descending turns;
(F) faults in the turns (slipping and skidding on suitable types);
(G) turns onto selected headings, use of gyro heading indicator and compass;
(H) use of instruments for precision.
10a Slow flight:
Note: the objective is to improve the student’s ability to recognise inadvertent flight at critically low speeds and provide practice in maintaining the aeroplane in balance while returning to normal airspeed.
(A) safety checks;
(B) introduction to slow flight;
(C) controlled flight down to critically slow air speed;
(D) application of full power with correct attitude and balance to achieve normal climb speed.
GPS does not add value
10b Stalling:
(A) safety checks;
(B) symptoms;
(C) recognition;
(D) clean stall and recovery without power and with power;
(E) recovery when a wing drops;
(F) approach to stall in the approach and in the landing configurations, with and without power and recovery at the incipient stage.
GPS does not add value
11 Spin avoidance:
(A) safety checks;
(B) stalling and recovery at the incipient spin stage (stall with excessive wing drop, about 45 °);
(C) instructor induced distractions during the stall.
Note 1: at least two hours of stall awareness and spin avoidance flight training should be completed during the course.
Note 2: consideration of manoeuvre limitations and the need to referto the aeroplane manual and mass and balance calculations.
GPS does not add value
12 Take-off and climb to downwind position:
(A) pre-take-off checks;
(B) into wind take-off;
(C) safeguarding the nose wheel;
(D) crosswind take-off;
(E) drills during and after take-off;
(F) short take-off and soft field procedure/techniques including performance calculations;
(G) noise abatement procedures.
13 Circuit, approach and landing:
(A) circuit procedures, downwind and base leg;
(B) powered approach and landing;
(C) safeguarding the nose wheel;
(D) effect of wind on approach and touchdown speeds and use of flaps;
(E) crosswind approach and landing;
(F) glide approach and landing;
(G) short landing and soft field procedures or techniques;
(H) flapless approach and landing;
(I) wheel landing (tail wheel aeroplanes);
(J) missed approach and go-around;
(K) noise abatement procedures.
12/13 Emergencies:
(A) abandoned take-off;
(B) engine failure after take-off;
(C) mislanding and go-around;
(D) missed approach.
Note: in the interests of safety it will be necessary for pilots trained on nose wheel aeroplanes to undergo dual conversion training before flying tail wheel aeroplanes, and vice-versa.
GPS does not add value
14 First solo:
(A) instructor’s briefing, observation of flight and de-briefing;
Note: during flights immediately following the solo circuit consolidation the following should be revised:
(B) procedures for leaving and rejoining the circuit;
(C) the local area, restrictions, map reading;
(D) use of radio aids for homing;
(E) turns using magnetic compass, compass errors.
15 Advanced turning:
(A) steep turns (45 °), level and descending;
(B) stalling in the turn and recovery;
(C) recoveries from unusual attitudes, including spiral dives.
GPS does not add value
16 Forced landing without power:
(A) forced landing procedure;
(B) choice of landing area, provision for change of plan;
(C) gliding distance;
(D) descent plan;
(E) key positions;
(F) engine cooling;
(G) engine failure checks;
(H) use of radio;
(I) base leg;
(J) final approach;
(K) landing;
(L) actions after landing.
GPS is helpful to determine range to nearest airport or wind direction (to a certain extent) but not of value for the core excersise)
17 Precautionary landing:
(A) full procedure away from aerodrome to break-off height;
(B) occasions necessitating;
(C) in-flight conditions;
(D) landing area selection:
(a) normal aerodrome;
(b) disused aerodrome;
(c) ordinary field.
(E) circuit and approach;
(F) actions after landing.
GPS is helpful to determine range to nearest airport or wind direction (to a certain extent) but not of value for the core excersise)
18a Navigation:
(A) flight planning:
(a) weather forecast and actuals;
(b) map selection and preparation:
(1) choice of route;
(2) controlled airspace;
(3) danger, prohibited and restricted areas;
(4) safety altitudes.
(c) calculations:
(1) magnetic heading(s) and time(s) en-route;
(2) fuel consumption;
(3) mass and balance;
(4) mass and performance.
(d) flight information:
(1) NOTAMs etc.;
(2) radio frequencies;
(3) selection of alternate aerodromes.
(e) aeroplane documentation;
(f) notification of the flight:
(1) pre-flight administrative procedures;
(2) flight plan form.
(B) departure:
(a) organisation of cockpit workload;
(b) departure procedures:
(1) altimeter settings;
(2) ATC liaison in controlled or regulated airspace;
(3) setting heading procedure;
(4) noting of ETAs.
(c) maintenance of altitude and heading;
(d) revisions of ETA and heading;
(e) log keeping;
(f) use of radio;
(g) use of navaids;
(h) minimum weather conditions for continuation of flight;
(i) in-flight decisions;
(j) transiting controlled or regulated airspace;
(k) diversion procedures;
(l) uncertainty of position procedure;
(m) lost procedure.
(C) arrival and aerodrome joining procedure:
(a) ATC liaison in controlled or regulated airspace;
(b) altimeter setting;
(c) entering the traffic pattern;
(d) circuit procedures;
(e) parking;
(f) security of aeroplane;
(g) refuelling;
(h) closing of flight plan, if appropriate;
(i) post-flight administrative procedures.
18b Navigation problems at lower levels and inreduced visibility:
(A) actions before descending;
(B) hazards (for example obstacles and terrain);
(C) difficulties of map reading;
(D) effects of wind and turbulence;
(E) vertical situational awareness (avoidance of controlled flightinto terrain);
(F) avoidance of noise sensitive areas;
(G) joining the circuit;
(H) bad weather circuit and landing.
18c Radio navigation:
(A) use of GNSS:
(a) selection of waypoints;
(b) to or from indications and orientation;
(c) error messages.(B) use of VHF omni range:
(a) availability, AIP and frequencies;
(b) selection and identification;
(c) OBS;
(d) to or from indications and orientation;
(e) CDI;
(f) determination of radial;
(g) intercepting and maintaining a radial;
(h) VOR passage;
(i) obtaining a fix from two VORs.
(C) use of ADF equipment: NDBs:
(a) availability, AIP and frequencies;
(b) selection and identification;
(c) orientation relative to the beacon;
(d) homing.
(D) use of VHF/DF:
(a) availability, AIP, frequencies;
(b) R/T procedures and ATC liaison;
(c) obtaining a QDM and homing.
(E) use of en-route or terminal radar:
(a) availability and AIP;
(b) procedures and ATC liaison;
(c) pilot’s responsibilities;
(d) secondary surveillance radar:
(1) transponders;
(2) code selection;
(3) interrogation and reply.
(F) use of DME:
(a) station selection and identification;
(b) modes of operation: distance, groundspeed and timeto run.
19 Basic instrument flight:
(A) physiological sensations;
(B) instrument appreciation; attitude instrument flight;
(C) instrument limitations;
(D) basic manoeuvres:
(a) straight and level at various air speeds and configurations;
(b) climbing and descending;
(c) standard rate turns, climbing and descending, onto selected headings;
(d) recoveries from climbing and descending turns.
Last Edited by mh at 27 Mar 16:11
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

When I fly final check with our PPL students, I used to see confusion about how much use of GPS is allowed during skill test. I remember one, a fairly competent student, asked about it and I said go ahead, and he turned on the GPS and got confused to the point where he was not flying the aircraft safely.

After that I always make sure to emphasize what should be obvious, that the pilot should not to use any equipment for the test that he is not already fairly familiar with. Some are, from learning it of their own initiative, and others are not, because it is not in the syllabus and some instructors do not use it (or downright discourage it – not anymore I think, but some used to).

That is for the test.

As for “real life”, it is obvious that nearly all pilots use GPS in everyday navigation. Of course that means it is a problem when its integral use is not incorporated in training. Belonging to a club, we can partly make up for that by providing tips and arrangements with some talks about best practice / SOP’s for using GPS for VFR.

There was an accident a couple years ago, in the UK I think, where lack of familiarity with the GPS was cited by the AIB as a contributing factor. The problem was not over-reliance, but under-utilisation of the equipment!

As for written material, it is in the AMC to Part-FCL:
AMC1 FCL.210.A PPL(A) — Experience requirements and crediting. FLIGHT INSTRUCTION FOR THE PPL(A)
[page 185] (xxiv) Exercise 18c: Radio navigation: (A) use of GNSS: (a) selection of waypoints; (b) to or from indications and orientation; (c) error messages.

However, our approved training material has no mention of GPS/GNSS, and the examiners are looking for ability to navigate visually primarily.
As for the training programme I have resigned for a while after having fought for revising our syllabus. Now I make sure that the student pilots we send to skill test at least do know just how much they actually know. I also encourage them to practise using and understanding at least the moving map, the “nearest” function and the Track and Ground Speed readings of the GPS, and I still remind/ try to persuade the other instructors to include the GPS in the general discussion of navigation, even if it is not in the syllabus.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Bathman wrote:

However I’ve already run into some problems when I aired my thoughts to the local examiner. Who is of the opinion that if you can’t navigate with a map, compass and stopwatch then your not fit to fly.

I would say this examiner is not fit to examine. For crying out loud, it’s 2016!!

And I felt he was the more approachable of the local examiners.

One other local examiner removes the data card from a GPS equipped aircraft before sending his students solo!

Sign in to add your message