Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Logging hours as CRI

When I did my EASA CPL/ME/IR, I also did the CRI SEP in passing. I haven’t made much use of it until now, but now there are some opportunities.

As I understand it, I can conduct the “training flights” that are one of the requirements for the extension of the SEP class rating. Of course, I can log these hours as instructor hours.

But what if a friend who flies only little wants to come with me for some “refresher flights”? Or if he just does his IR training and wants to join me on some IFR flights for additional practice, apart from his course in the ATO? Can I log these hours as instructor hours too?

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

If the friends acts as PIC and you as CRI (i.e. you back him up and get active as instructor), you can log CRI hours. If you just happen to have a licensed Pilot in the right seat, then it’s just normal PIC time.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Okay, and what if I (IR rated) fly with him (still in IR training) on an IFR flight?

Do you hold the privileges for instructing IFR flying?

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I have the CRI rating aswell, but I only use it VFR. But now that I mention it: Could I not log CRI hours on an IFR flight without instructing IFR if the PIC has an IFR rating already?

Do you hold the privileges for instructing IFR flying?

Not for the initial IFR instruction (=IRI), which in the mentioned scenario is done in the ATO.

Last Edited by blueline at 10 Aug 08:50

Well, if you don’t have the privileges, you don’t get to log the hours. (That, of course says nothing about your ability to teach and show your friend stuff in real IR applications … Wer viel fragt, bekommt viele Antworten :-) )

Last Edited by mh at 10 Aug 08:52
mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I think I can act as a CRI on an IFR flight. IFR flight doesn not mean that I teach “IFR flying”. I can show the PIC other stuff … I guess it’s a grey zone. (How about a Z flight plan ;-))

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 10 Aug 08:53

mh wrote:

Wer viel fragt, bekommt viele Antworten :-)

Last Edited by blueline at 10 Aug 09:00

And am I right that the “student” always logs PIC when flying with a CRI? Or “Doppelsteuer” (don’t know at the moment how they put it in English language logbooks)?

56 Posts
Sign in to add your message