Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Valid medical to renew SEP?

Good morning sirs,

I had a question from a guy that recently turned 51, and his medical had lapsed. He is to renew his SEP(A) based on experience, within the next 10 days and asked if I could fly the 1 hr DI with him. He also asked me whether he could revalidate his SEP without a valid medical (because of a long wait at the AME, don’t ask me why he hasn’t done it earlier), and I couldn’t answer him that from the top of my head.
(The form to be submitted to revalidate the SEP(A) does not mention a medical at all).

After reading the PART, as far as I understand, he can not do that. There is no way an EX can revalidate a licence that is lapsed (because it does not have a valid medical attached).

FCL.015 says: (a) An application for the issue, revalidation or renewal of pilot licences and associated ratings and certificates shall be submitted to the competent authority in a form and manner established by this authority. The application shall be accompanied by evidence that the applicant complies with the requirements for the issue, revalidation or renewal of the licence or certificate as well as associated ratings or endorsements, established in this Part and Part-Medical.

And Part-Medical, MED.A.030: (c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL), a sailplane pilot licence (SPL), or a balloon pilot licence (BPL) shall hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate.

Agree/disagree?

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 07 Nov 08:57
Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

It’s pretty well industry standard that you can’t carry out a prof check without a valid medical.

However some legal loopholes may allow, but seems you found the plug for the hole in this case.

Looks like you answered yourself

prior to Part-FCL, in France it was possible but in Luxembourg (and Belgium) no.
The difference was that you needed a training license in BE end LU which in turn needs to have a valid medical.

Although…
Maybe the flight can be made but the medical needs to be renewed before it’s submitted to the NCAA ?

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

Are you saying that he can’t log the dual hour (with me as PIC) if he does not have a valid medical? I can’t find anything ruling that out. FCL.015 only discusses the “application”.

However FCL.700 has the following:

FCL.700 Circumstances in which class or type ratings are required
(a) Holders of a pilot licence shall not act in any capacity as pilots of an aircraft unless they have a
valid and appropriate class or type rating, except in any of the following cases:
(iii) when receiving flight instruction;

At least I think we have concluded he needs to get a new medical before submitting the papers to the CAA.

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 07 Nov 11:03
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

Are you saying that he can’t log the dual hour (with me as PIC) if he does not have a valid medical? I can’t find anything ruling that out.

You can log dual Hours without a medical, at least before you have your licence, so I would be slightly surprised if you couldn’t do it after getting your licence, but with regulations one can get surprises.

I am sure you can fly with an FI (and log it as PU/T) in any European or US (FAA) scenario, without a valid medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I am sure you can fly with an FI (and log it as PU/T) in any European or US (FAA) scenario, without a valid medical.

Me too. Until I started reading the FCLs ;)

Edit: Pretty sure PUT is gone BTW. Been PIC and DUAL since JAR days(?).

Last Edited by NorFlyer at 07 Nov 11:22
ENEG

NorFlyer wrote:

Edit: Pretty sure PUT is gone BTW. Been PIC and DUAL since JAR days(?).

I think so too, but even if it were still there, why would the holder of a license, lapsed or not, need to log dual hours? Serves no purpose at all.

Recently a colleague of mine was refused simulator recurrent training because he held no medical at that time (due to the treatment of a back injury his medical had been suspended for a few months). So some FTOs seem to read the rules as: “no medical – no training”.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

Recently a colleague of mine was refused simulator recurrent training because he held no medical at that time (due to the treatment of a back injury his medical had been suspended for a few months). So some FTOs seem to read the rules as: “no medical – no training”.

Seems horrible from a safety point of view. How is the person going to keep current?

what_next wrote:

why would the holder of a license, lapsed or not, need to log dual hours? Serves no purpose at all.

Not sure I follow you. Dual is when you fly with an instructor.

ENEG
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message