Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CSIP in Europe?

Is it possible to get the CSIP (Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilot) certification in Europe or do I have to travel to Duluth? Anyone done one that care to elaborate on the process? Hours, cost, challenges?

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

You could start by asking the folks at POZnan Aero – they are said to be quite decent, and an authorized Cirrus training center, complete with a SF50 full motion sim.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

NorFlyer wrote:

Is it possible to get the CSIP (Cirrus Standardized Instructor Pilot) certification in Europe or do I have to travel to Duluth?

What for? Is it to satisfy an insurance requirement that the pilots have to receive training from a CSIP?

Just curious. I think insurance companies are funny about the SR22. Some require a number of hours on type. Others not.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

What for?

I have flown with multiple instructors on Cirruses who were both CSIPs and non-CSIPs, and I found all the CSIPs to be much more enjoyable. You can change instructors and not have to rediscuss all the procedures, and I never got a “but our SOPs are this and that…” from a CSIP. All the non-CSIPs I actually tried to get away from so they wouldn’t screw up the carefully laid out practices ingrained to me previously. But that is of course just my personal view from the other side of the cockpit, YMMV.

At the very least, it shows to me that this is an instructor who takes his responsibility seriously and who makes a commitment to some form of quality standard. That doesn’t mean you couldn’t be a very good instructor on a Cirrus and not be a CSIP, of course.

Recently, there has been a spike in deadly accidents in Cirrus flights during instruction, and if I remember correctly they all involved non-CSIP instructors. Mind you, statistically they are still safer than on other types of planes due to the comparatively high number of hours on the Cirrus fleet.

+1 for Aero Poznan. Piotr will at least be able to tell you how to become a CSIP, if not help you in the process. He is a Platinum CSIP himself.

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 28 Nov 20:09

I agree – instructor standardisation is a good thing for students.

At the school I used to train, we had standard procedures (speeds, checklists, flows, etc.) and all instructors used them, so students could change instructors and, while exposed to slightly different training styles and techniques (a good thing, as sometimes different things click for different students), they would NOT have to re-learn the foibles of instructors using different speeds, different points to do checks, etc.

I even had to teach SOPs I personally disagreed with, and would never use myself (e.g., 65kt over the threshold in a C152), since that is better for the student.

If I had to train somebody in a SR22, I would be making it up, probably ok and safe, but potentially confusing. And the one thing where CSIP instructors definitely differ is in their attitude to the parachute – they teach “pull early, pull often”, while the two classic instructors I trained with taught “a real pilot goes down with his aircraft”. Also, the non-CSIPs had no clue about the intricacies of the weird electrical system, and didn’t teach anything sensible around it.

Last Edited by Cobalt at 28 Nov 20:29
Biggin Hill

Thanks guys, really appreciated. I will contact Piotr today.

My reasoning for doing the CSIP is the standardization part, which I think is lacking overall in light-GA, and I think Cirrus will be a major player for years to come. This is one way do differentiate me from the bunch of other FIs "fighting for hours. "

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message