Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The end of IR instructors?

I have just heard that EASA’s requirement for 200 hours under IFR has led to the total cessation of IRI training, unless the candidate is already an airline pilot. Even the Guild Bursary was not awarded because there were no applicants

And buidling 200hrs of IFR time yourself is awfully expensive…. it will be cheaper to get a jet TR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Have you got a reference for that requirement, Peter?

Current IP (IP111, Winter 2016) has a comprehensive summary which states 800 hours IFR for an IRI qualification.

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

IRI vs. FI.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

No I don’t, and I have no idea what “IP” is (in this context)

Administrator

Initial Proposal ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

A friend of mine recently got an IRI and he certainly does not have 800 hrs of IFR experience.

LFPT, LFPN

Instrument Pilot magazine by PPL/IR PPL / IR

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

If you are already an FI, 200 hrs is enough. I think it is fair.

ESSZ, Sweden

Ah, OK, but that magazine is not accessible if you want the recent issues (unless you pay). I used to write articles for it, years ago. Then they got a new editor who wanted exclusivity on the contributions.

On the original topic, I am told that the retention of the IMC Rating and the UK provision to be able to teach for that has resulted in a back door route to gaining the hours so essentially IRI training has restarted for the IMC Rating only. When an existing FI gets 200hrs IFR he can then use the qualification to teach the ICAO IR.

When I was doing my IMCR (2000/2002) I had one instructor who never had any instrument training. He got grandfathered from a PPL+FI to a BCPL and picked up IMCR privileges on the way. But that’s history….

Administrator

Current IP (IP111, Winter 2016) has a comprehensive summary which states 800 hours IFR for an IRI qualification.

Correct, but if you are a FI it is only 200 hours!

FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions
(g) an EIR or an IR in the appropriate aircraft category, provided that the FI has:
(1) at least 200 hours of flight time under IFR, of which up to 50 hours may be instrument
ground time in an FFS, an FTD 2/3 or FNPT II;

Not sure how you could log 50 hours instrument ground time as there is no course with that level of credit!

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 27 Dec 09:26
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message