Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Extending FI qualification to instruct at night

Asking on behalf of a friend who is currently undergoing training in France to become an instructor. He holds a UK licence.

He would also like to get the privilege of instructing for the night rating entered into his licence. PART FCL sets out the following requirements:

FCL.905.FI FI — Privileges and conditions

The privileges of an FI are to conduct flight instruction for the issue, revalidation or renewal of:

(e) the night rating, provided that the FI:
(1) is qualified to fly at night in the appropriate aircraft category;
(2) has demonstrated the ability to instruct at night to an FI qualified in accordance with (i) below; and
(3) complies with the night experience requirement of FCL.060(b)(2);

(1) and (3) are no problem (he holds an IR). As to (2), the ATO head of training told him that the French DGAC also requires the applicant for a night instructor privilege to have completed an approved training course at an ATO, with some hours of theoretical training etc. But the ATO doesn’t have an approved course for this.

Since he holds a UK licence, the real question is how the UK CAA handles this. On form SRG1133, you can also find the following in Section 10:

APPROVED COURSE CERTIFICATE To be completed by the ATO conducting the Training

I certify that (name) …………………………………………………………… has satisfactorily completed an approved course of training in accordance with Part-FCL for the following:
i) Extend privileges to Flight Instructor Certificate to include:
FCL.905.FI Night
FCL.905.FI Banner Towing
FCL.905.FI Glider Towing
FCL.905.FI SPA ME FCL.905.FI FI
FCL.905.FI CPL
FCL.905.FI Aerobatic
FCL.905(j)(1) MPL
FCL.905.FI IR
FCL.905(j)(2) MPL
FCL.905.MI Mountain Rating Instructor

The course consisted of ………………. hours of flight instruction of which ……………..hours Synthetic Flight Instruction
in a FNPT I, II/III, FTD 2/3 or FSS.
FSTD Identification Number of device used (which must be issued in accordance with Commission Regulation (EU)
1178/2011): …………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Competent Authority issuing Qualification certificate for the device: …………………………………………………………………….
Approved Training Organisation: ……………………………………………………………….. ATO Approval No: ……………………..
Competent Authority issuing Approval: ……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..
Name of Head of Training (or authorised signatory):

According to this form, it seems that the UK CAA also requires “an approved course of training”. But where does this requirement come from, since PART FCL.905 only mentions a flight with an FI examiner? Has any FI from the UK recently extended his FI privileges with one of the above and can report how it works in practice? Is there an ATO in Europe which does have an approved training course to become instructor for the night rating?

Edit: I just discovered that there is an “Exercise 20” in the AMC1 FCL.930.FI FI — Training course, which details the syllabus to follow if night instruction privileges are sought. So it seems to be a pity if the ATO chose not to include this exercise in their approved training course for an FI. That will make it more difficult for people to get night rating training in the long run, I suppose…

EXERCISE 20: NIGHT FLYING (if night instructional qualification required)
(a) Long briefing objectives:
(1) start up procedures;
(2) local procedures: including ATC liaison;
(3) taxiing:
(i) parking area and taxiway lighting;
(ii) judgement of speed and distances;
(iii) use of taxiway lights;
(iv) avoidance of hazards: obstruction lighting;
(v) instrument checks;
(vi) holding point: lighting procedure;
(vii) initial familiarisation at night;
(viii) local area orientation;
(ix) significance of lights on other aircraft;
(x) ground obstruction lights;
(xi) division of piloting effort: external or instrument reference;
(xii) rejoining procedure;
(xiii) aerodrome lighting: approach and runway lighting (including VASI and PAPI):
(A) threshold lights;
(B) approach lighting;
(C) visual approach slope indicator systems.
(4) night circuits;
(i) take-off and climb:
(A) line up;
(B) visual references during the take-off run;
(C) transfer to instruments;
(D) establishing the initial climb;
(E) use of flight instruments;
(F) instrument climb and initial turn.
(ii) circuit:
(A) aeroplane positioning: reference to runway lighting;
(B) the traffic pattern and look-out;
(C) initial approach and runway lighting demonstration;
(D) aeroplane positioning;
(E) changing aspect of runway lights and VASI (or PAPI);
(F) intercepting the correct approach path;
(G) the climb away.
(iii) approach and landing:
(A) positioning, base leg and final approach;
(B) diurnal wind effect;
(C) use of landing lights;
(D) the flare and touchdown;
(E) the roll out;
(F) turning off the runway: control of speed.
(iv) missed approach:
(A) use of instruments;
(B) re-positioning in the circuit pattern;
(5) night navigation:
(i) particular emphasis on flight planning;
(ii) selection of ground features visible at night:
(A) air light beacons;
(B) effect of cockpit lighting on map colours;
(C) use of radio aids;
(D) effect of moonlight upon visibility at night;
(iii) emphasis on maintaining a ‘minimum safe altitude’;
(iv) alternate aerodromes: restricted availability;
(v) restricted recognition of weather deterioration;
(vi) lost procedures;
(6) night emergencies;
(i) radio failure;
(ii) failure of runway lighting;
(iii) failure of aeroplane landing lights;
(iv) failure of aeroplane internal lighting;
(v) failure of aeroplane navigation lights;
(vi) total electrical failure;
(vii) abandoned take-off;
(viii) engine failure;
(ix) obstructed runway procedure.
(b) Air exercise: during the air exercise all long briefing objectives mentioned above should also be trained on site and the student instructor should demonstrate the following items:
(1) how to plan and to perform a flight at night;
(2) how to advise the student pilot to plan and prepare a flight at night;
(3) how to advise the student pilot to perform a flight at night;
(4) how to analyse and correct errors as necessary.

“Total electrical failure” at night would be interesting in a plane like an SR20, by the way…

Last Edited by Rwy20 at 11 Jan 22:18

The busy schools tend to provide this around September or October when they can sign off a batch of FIs.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I did just one test flight with an FIE and he prepared an informal letter to the local administration and then they sent me the new licence with the new privileges. Very simple and straightforward.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Rwy20 wrote:

(iii) failure of aeroplane landing lights;

I remember doing this with a student some years ago. Almost instantly ATC called: “Callsign xxxx – SHOW LANDING LIGHT”. I answered “this is part of our training” and he replied: “but not inside MY airspace!”.

The training programme outlined above is really challenging, considering that the whole night rating takes only 5 hours, most of which are cross-country flying. I don’t think I trained more tham 50% of that list myself or managed to ever teach more than that…

EDDS - Stuttgart

When I extended my FI rating to include night instruction, this training was completed within a ATO.
I had a ground brief with a FIC instructor which lasted maybe 1 hr, we then did a flight (at night) which was 1 Hr.
The HoT signed a course completion certificate, sent off the application along with £88.00!!! 10 days later my license turned up in my post box.
This was in the UK

@351Windsor Thanks for the pirep.

Do you happen to know if your ATO had to depose this as a separate approved course with the CAA, or if they did it as part of their general approval to train FIs?

Because the hard part would be to convince the French HoT that for the UK CAA, it is not required to have a separate, approved course, so that she would be willing to sign the British SRG1133 form as any UK ATO would (would they?), to confirm that the content of Exercise 20 has indeed been covered.

Otherwise, I guess my friend needs to find a UK school which would be willing to do just the night instructor training and check flight with limited hassle and cost. Any recommendations for this?

To those with better knowledge of PART FCL – why is there no mention of any ground course requirements in FCL.905.FI (e), even though it seems to be a requirement to get the qualification?

@RWY20
Thanks for the list! I’m doing my NVFR this weekend (as PPL not FI) weather permitting. I also wonder how you cover it all in 5 hours of mostly x-country.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Jan 13:46
Tököl LHTL

The list concerns only FI night requirements, it’s not the syllabus for a night rating.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Rwy20 wrote:

Otherwise, I guess my friend needs to find a UK school which would be willing to do just the night instructor training and check flight with limited hassle and cost. Any recommendations for this?

I would recommend these guys http://www.ontrackaviation.com/ based out of Wellesbourne (EGBW)

Here is a link to more info about removal of night restriction http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fi-night.html

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did my FI rating and removal of night restriction with them.

They are helpful they may even be able to provide the necessary info to persuade your French HoT to sign the form.

Last Edited by 351Windsor at 12 Jan 14:35
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message