Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instructor insurance coverage for training in non ATO/privately owned aircraft

A propos of the RHS brake thread it would be useful to get input on what insurance coverage should be provided for an instructor giving freelance instruction in an aircraft that is not part of the ATO fleet.

I carry insurance coverage as an instructor which hopefully gives some additional protection, but in the more legalistic/liability sensitive USA the nature of instructor insurance coverage is a topic where there are clear views.

Firstly, instructing in an aircraft where the student is not the owner is a potential for flying without coverage, for all parties including the owner.

Secondly being ‘named’ provides coverage to the owner, but not for the instructor. You would need to be ‘additional insured’ to benefit from the coverage.

Then some instructors require that the policy be amended to include a waiver of subrogation rights, presumably to explicitly ensure neither the owner or his estate or his insurer try and recover from the instructor.

As remuneration for instructors outside of the airlines and type rating sim shops is ridiculously low, working with potential liability issues on top of relatively low pay seems to add insult to injury.

Hopefully there is an experienced broker on the forum that might share some advice.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Can anyone recommend me a good FI’s insurance?
UK FI flying in EASA-land teaching mostly PPL and NVFR.

Thanks

Ag

LEBA, Spain

After a lot of research, there appears to be only one company that offer a policy for Flight Instructors. Besso are the only one I can find.

AOPA offers insurance for CFIs and CRIs, at least in Germany

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message