Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The £40k frozen ATPL (CPL/ME/IR)

Peter wrote:

After all, I read recently that the UK CAA is no longer accepting German AME medicals because the AME has no legal right to see the GP records… this came out after Germanwings and makes an almost complete mockery of any German AME medical.

For my FAA medical, I report new doctor visits as required but the AME does not have the right of access to medical records from those reported visits, and he has no idea where pre-existing medical records may exist. The system works around me bringing forward a package of records that are supportive enough of my case, if I had one, not his unlimited access to forage around in my private data.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Feb 03:33

Peter wrote:

the AME has no legal right to see the GP records… this came out after Germanwings and makes an almost complete mockery of any German AME medical.

It the same thing in Sweden. The system relies on the applicant providing accurate medical history to the AME. In fact, my AME got a new ID in EASA’s records keeping system (for whatever reason) and I had to sign a form authorising his access to the records from his own previous examinations of me stored under his old ID!

Of course, the AME can refuse the medical if you won’t provide GP records. OTOH even if the AME had legal right to the records, there would be no way for him/her to know that the records were complete unless the country had a unified nationwide records keeping system! And not even then since there may be records abroad.

So maybe that makes an almost complete mockery out of any Swedish AME medical as well.

Anyway, I don’t really see the point in the UK CAA not accepting German medicals.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 03 Feb 09:50
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Balliol wrote:

…dealing with some young men and women who’ve been struggling to scrape together every penny for their flight training, biking miles to lessons, selling goods off etc…

Ah yes, those proverbial aviation enthusiasts who cycle two hours each way to the airfield and wash aeroplanes for eight hours a day to earn themselves a free lesson once a month. Should I ever come across one of those I may change my dogma and offer him or her a free lesson.
So far, the students I am dealing with fall into two groups: The modular route is typically pursued by skilled professionals who get their pilot’s license to fulfill their dream of childhood days to become a pilot (astronaut would even be better but there is no EASA syllabus for that yet). Myself, I am one of those, as are many of my colleagues who fly in business aviation. Because by the time we got our ATPLs we were much too old for the airlines. On most days, we have more academic degrees in the cockpit than in the back of our bizjets… And the other group, the main source of income of “my” FTO, is made up of daughters and sons, many of which don’t care the least about aviation, but whose daddy fulfills his childhood dream of becoming a pilot by buying his kid the license he never could get himself… (a bit simplistic but certainly not entirely untrue). No need to work for free.

flybymike wrote:

So far as I am aware, my AME has never seen (and has certainly never requested my permission to see) my GP notes.

Same with me (but then I am one of those Germans whose AME does not have access to those records anyway). And by the way, I never had anything like a “GP”. There is no collection of medical records about me anywhere, maybe with exception of my dentist’s, but this is only because I have been going to the same one since 35 years. I could go to a different dentist every time and I could go to a different doctor every time without them knowing about it. So where should my AME start collecting records?

AFAIK, the refusal of the British CAA to accept german medicals has a different reason: Our own authority (LBA) has no access to the records of the AME. They must accept the AMEs verdict without seeing the “raw data”.

Last Edited by what_next at 03 Feb 09:36
EDDS - Stuttgart

The only record the CAA has or your AME has is what you gave them, a simple declaration filled in at each medical.
Whilst in the RAF, I discovered that Service medical records do not go to your GP once you leave the Services, they are archived. Knowing this, when I was given a sealed envelope and asked to hand it in at the General Office, I opened it and made copies of everything. When I signed on with a NHS doctor they only had half a page of records.

So lets say 100 hours P1 hour building at a block rate of £80 or £8k.

What do you fly for that price? A C150 100hrs around the patch?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Krister_L wrote:

A C150 100hrs around the patch?

Or you can make interesting navigation exercises in Oklahoma https://www.google.de/maps/@33.3691624,-100.7240512,9z
There is even a choice between squares and triangles

Last Edited by what_next at 05 Feb 13:08
EDDS - Stuttgart

Flying in the US is cheap, but I assumed it was all based on UK prices.
I tried the triangle/square approach in Minnesota years and years ago, that worked well too. :)

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Peter wrote:

when I was digging around this in 2011 I found you could do the 14 ATPL exams in Athens, Greece, for €5 each

You can also do them for 0€ each =)

http://www.tfhs.lu.se/utbildning/kurspaket-airline-transport-pilot-teori/

However, you still need to pay the CAA examination fees which are around 1150€, but the course, which I attended, is for free.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

However, you still need to pay the CAA examination fees which are around 1150€, but the course, which I attended, is for free.

…but to be admitted you have to know Swedish (or Norwegian/Danish) sufficiently well. (And have documentation of the fact.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Is there any update on this route to an EASA CPL/IR?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message