Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The £40k frozen ATPL (CPL/ME/IR)

Does this bring you to the same level as integrated ATPL (CPL/ME/IR + ATPL theory)?

Yes. Had a CB IR course candidate who already had the th. ATPL exams done. Then CPL. Then ME IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria

The leading modular provider in the UK, and they have a good reputation, quotes between £64k and £89k which leaves you with a CPL/MEIR. This isn’t that much of a saving when compared to an integrated course, but perhaps offers some lifestyle flexibility. No overseas training, student can do the training while maintaining some kind of employment, etc.

The integrated course will provide a premium MCC/JOC/APS, typically logging a decent amount of relevant type full motion SIM, usually with TRI MCCI instructors. These longer MCC courses are not typically available on the modular route, and the MCC/JOC is an additional expense to the modular route. Where the MCC was a relatively straightforward introduction to multi crew, it has now evolved to an airline oriented competency based course with quite high standards.

The manufacturers are entering the zero-to-hero sector with Airbus leading, and therefore one might expect Boeing to follow.

While a £40k modular course might (doubt it myself) be devised with a gliding club background, and gaining an SEP/CPL/CBIR (with hour building initial IR in a lower cost country, requiring visa/licence conversion) before upgrading to an MEP/IR – it sounds like a bit of an obstacle course.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

In this case PPL+ATPL theory+CBIR CPL/ME should yield the lowest cost.

Does this bring you to the same level as integrated ATPL (CPL/ME/IR + ATPL theory)?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In this case PPL+ATPL theory+CBIR CPL/ME should yield the lowest cost.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 03 Feb 14:08
always learning
LO__, Austria

Peter wrote:

Also IQ well above airline pilot average (PhD in science i.e. a real PhD).

This is a blue collar (despite the epaulettes) heavy machine operator job, applying SOPs :)

Am not suggesting there is a correlation, but it is not unusual for exceptionally well educated pilot candidates to struggle with the practical aspects of flying.

Also you will recall the Navier-Stokes fluid dynamics partial differential equations remain incomplete :)

I don’t understand – I said that the 100k or whatever is not available in this case, and a DIY (“modular”) route is desired.

OK let me post a clue: the candidate in this case is a female, and it is known that – due to the 10% quota system – they can get in, modular or not, and I personally know of one who started at 43 and got a job immediately. Also IQ well above airline pilot average (PhD in science i.e. a real PhD).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, airline or possibly bizjet.

Do what those flying big shiny jets do. @RobertL18C will know the market and good places to attend.

always learning
LO__, Austria

greg_mp wrote:

My error was to try 3 to 4 exam by day each time. The 1st exam batch worked well, but I was fried for the second set and missed 2, so had to repass the the month after.

Croatian CAA simply defines the schedule for exams, usually 6 times a year and whatever you apply for at particular term they send you the dates and times within exam week (5 week days actually). That means you can get 1 to 3 exams per day depending how lucky you are and maybe a day off between them. My first group was 1, 2, day off, 1, 2 and the second group was 1, 3, 2, no break days.

Last Edited by Emir at 30 Jan 10:11
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My fATPL didn’t cost me 40k. I get a distance course for 3500€ and a lot of time in. For the exams, it was more or less the same as Emir, but we had 2 comms at the time (so 14 exams). My error was to try 3 to 4 exam by day each time. The 1st exam batch worked well, but I was fried for the second set and missed 2, so had to repass the the month after.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 29 Jan 19:51
LFMD, France

I understand that the exams have become old school, with a significant proportion not multiple choice. This is the way they were back in the day, you had to show your calculations and on some of the papers, the answers had to be written. Not quite essays, but you had to be able to show you understood certain concepts, and not bash the QB until you thought you had memorised it.

In addition you got point deductions if you clearly didn’t know what you were doing!

All good healthy stuff :)

55 Posts
Sign in to add your message