Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Introducing TEM (threat and error management)

It would appear the CAA are quite keen on this being introduced into all aspects of flight training and I have to say I don’t dislike it.

However I do have one or two reservations. I certainly don’t like introducing it for the first few airborne exercises. Some person is on their first lesson and line 3 on your board brief is TREATS.

My other issue is that all the PPL flight training books pratt, thom don’t have any mention of it at all and in fact all use airmanship. I’m therefore reluctant to introduce it until those books have caught up.

Whats other peoples opinions?

Threat Error Management. It’s all the rage.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

chrisparker wrote:

Threat Error Management.

OK. So now the child has a name. I still don’t have the faintest idea what it might be about…

EDDS - Stuttgart

Sorry. Its supposed to be introduced as part of the students training

So you would ask the student to think of any Treats on today’s flight eg circuits at an airfield in Class G airspace with no ATZ

Treats – would be other aircraft
Errors – they might not see us/we might not see them/collision
Management – Lookout, Liston out, Make blind calls, keep landing and nav lights on in circuit

Last Edited by Bathman at 22 Feb 10:44

And in what sense would that be different from anything that I was taught and have been teaching for nearly 30 years other than it has now gotten it’s own three letter acronym?

EDDS - Stuttgart

I think in this case an explanation of TEM (which I think know – Thread Error Management ) and TREAT (which I don’t know) would have been useful. Same with airport codes. Personally, I always try to write ICAO + Name, saves other people having to google (which can be more annoying on the phone)

What next

I’m not saying I disagree with you.

But the CAA appear to be quite keen on its implementation and it has to be taught as part of FI/CRI courses these days. I’ve got an instructor review coming up and wanted to see how people more upto date than me have introduced it.

I know of one instructor who failed his FI renewal because he didn’t brief the examiner on it (and knew bugger all about it)

I have edited the thread title and cleaned up the thread a bit. Also see here

Can comebody explain what TREATS is supposed to mean? Without explanations, we just end up with a useless thread which drives people away.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Bathman wrote:

I know of one instructor who failed his FI renewal because he didn’t brief the examiner on it (and knew bugger all about it)

So I can consider myself lucky because I renewed my FI ratings last week without ever having come across TEM. And I am pretty much certain that my examiner hasn’t either. But of course we are not operating under UK CAA rules but plain simple EASA regulations

Maybe it helps to pick an examiner (as I did) who got his own ratings and qualifications in a era when common sense was still ruling the world? These guys will fail you for poor flying and practical instructing skills but never for poor bla-bla.

EDDS - Stuttgart

TEM – Threat and Error Management – is gradually being introduced into French PPL training. I first heard about it from my supervisor, a 747 captain. I’m not against it: it encourages students to focus on the specific circumstances of each flight, rather than just reeling off a ‘briefing’ learned by rote. That should be the case every time, of course, TEM or not, but anything that helps and encourages is ok by me.

We use a simple sort of “traffic light” structure to indicate a minor item (“green”), at item requiring caution (“orange”) or a no-go item (“red”).

This is applied to:

Aircraft
E.g. Is there anything amiss with the aircraft?

Pilot
Is the pilot capable of carrying out the flight? E.g. health, fatigue, stress, preparation, technical knowledge, etc….

Environment
E.g. weather hazards, bird hazards, presence of other users (ultralight, aerobatics, gliders…)

Nothing new under the sun, of course, but it provides a reasonably simple framework for calling to mind factors with a bearing on the flight about to be undertaken. It need not take long,only a few minutes..

Bordeaux
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message