Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Introducing TEM (threat and error management)

@Snoopy good debrief we may start to see a TEM theme in the trip reports

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

we may start to see a TEM theme in the trip reports

That would be great!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

TEM is just about anticipating what might go wrong

What else is it about? A genuine question.

I’ve read what people have written here and the theme seems to be threats specific to this flight at this time on this day, e.g. wind from an unusual direction, a certain sort of traffic in the area, personal distractions, temporary airspace, etc.

I do think about these things and consider what I might do to mitigate the risks. I do it constantly. I’ve just never formalised the process or used terminology to describe it.

It is of course possible that in a certain environment (e.g. a commercial transport one where everyone doing things exactly the same way is highly desirable for a variety of reasons) that a framework which can be taught to anyone is very useful. But surely you cannot pretend that those practicing TEM are doing something completely new that no-one has ever thought of or done anything like before.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

But surely you cannot pretend that those practicing TEM are doing something completely new that no-one has ever thought of or done anything like before.

I don’t suggest that. But that does not mean that everyone did or that there is no point in formalising it and slapping a label on it. Compare the advanced upset and recovery training required for commercial pilots. That was certainly not something completely new but it was also certainly not something that everyone did.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But that does not mean that everyone did or that there is no point in formalising it and slapping a label on it.

Indeed. For some folks and in some environments it is probably the only way to ensure universal application of what many of us might describe as a cross between common sense and airmanship.

EGLM & EGTN
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message