Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instructing with OML Restriction

All,

This one continues to confuse me and I have done a lot of reading!

I have an OML restriction on my Class 1 (to my knowledge an OML can only be applied to a Class 1 - a different restriction is applied to Class 2 - OSL) and my medical specifically states that I have no restriction on my Class 2.

Reading CAP 804 Table 1 Section 4 Part N Page 11 - Flight instruction allowable by Aeroplane Instructors with a Class 1 medical certificate with OML - it states that Ab-initio PPL instruction before first solo cross-country is not allowed. However, the logic behind the Class 1 OML restriction is that you have a similar or less chance of incapacitation than a Class 2 holder, yet a Class 2 holder can now provide that instruction for renumeration under EASA.

I am very interested, in the not too distant future to obtain an FI rating, but obviously won't be doing this if it is going to be next to useless.

At some point I will of course go to the CAA and ask, but it would be great to hear from someone in the same boat who is instructing Ab-initio PPL using embedded Class 2 privileges, or actually know the real situation here.

EGBP, United Kingdom

You only need a Class 2 to instruct for PPL,IMC,IR

I knew of a couple of guys with OML restrictions who instruct and did so in the past for free. I never remember any of them being restricted to post solo students. Of course you can now be paid for instruction with a PPL hence they now get paid.

I'm pretty sure that to instruct for a CPL you have to have a Class one however

Thanks Bathman, that's reassuring and also logical, although looking at CAP804 it seems that CPL instruction is allowed (VMC only), which makes sense, as someone undergoing CPL instruction should be capable of getting the aircraft back on the ground should something happen to the instructor.

EGBP, United Kingdom

It's quite obvious!!

From the Official Journal of the EU dated november 3, 2011. Réglement (UE) 1178/2011

MED.B.001 d) 1) ii)

ii) Le titulaire d’un certificat médical assorti d’une limitation OML ne peut piloter un aéronef que dans le cadre d’opérations multipilote, pour autant que l’autre pilote soit entièrement qualifié pour le type d’aéronef en question, ne soit pas l’objet d’une OML et n’ait pas atteint l’âge de 60 ans

You translate underlined words by "Only during Multipilot Operations".

That means that the pilot having a class 1 with OML is not allowed to fly Single Pilot Aircraft. As a result his/her FI and SEP qualifications become obsolete because an instructor is automatically Pilot in Command.

Do not confuse OML and OSL. OML is for Class 1, OSL for Class 2. Even UKCAA does!!!

It is wrong to consider OML as OSL (safety pilot mandatory for class 2) to allow a FI with OML giving instruction to after solo students or even giving any revalidation of any kind.

He/she, in this case, should ask a PPL instead of CPL, and a Class 2 with OSL instead of a Class 1 with OML.

So the after solo student could be considered as safety pilot.

TBM8

What does OML stand for?

KUZA, United States

OML = Operational Multi-Crew Limitation

OSL = Operational Safety Pilot Limitation

see: UK CAA Limitations Guidance

YSCB

TBM - I think this highlights the confusion. OML absolutely does not prohibit piloting of single pilot aircraft, however it does prohibit this during commercial operation operations which require Class 1 privileges (such as air taxi). Now with the advent of the renumerated PPL instructor, who is doing so on a Class 2 medical, the documented restrictions on what a Class 1 OML can do no longer make any sense, since my Class 2 is unrestricted.

It seems the knowledge in this area is quite limited, so when I get a more concrete answer I'll post it for everyone's benefit.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Whiskey Bravo - Every country has his own regulations. So you are not wrong, most probably, using them.

But the bible is:

For every EASA member.

Hoping I am wrong when reading from page L311/178.

So long as you have a valid Class II medical without any restrictions upon it, you can act as a Flight Instructor. It has been possible for the past 13 years, since the JAA removed the 3 classes of medical and reduced them to two. EASA has only changed the remuneration part.

There has always been a disparity between the two levels of medical because they are fundamentally for different purposes, Class 1 commercial and Class II recreational, with different risk factors applied. Don't expect it to be ironed out unless you want to apply more stringent requirements to recreational flying.

No confusion, different purpose, different requirement!

Tumbleweed - thanks - this was exactly my thinking and my intention was only really to instruct PPL, so doesn't appear that it is an issue.

TBM - I see now what you are reading:

"The holder of a medical certificate with an OML shall only operate an aircraft in multi-pilot operations when the other pilot is fully qualified on the relevant type of aircraft, is not subject to an OML and has not attained the age of 60 years."

Flying your average SEP is not a "multi-pilot operation". Therefore, to fly an SEP for pleasure (I can't for commercial operations, single pilot of course) I fall back to my embedded and unrestricted Class II privileges (this is clearly stated on the medical).

The restriction which prevents one from flying single pilot at all, is an OSL (operational safety pilot) which is applied to a Class II.

Not confusing at all these regulations ;-)

EGBP, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message