Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What does your instructor fly bag consist of?

Except personal documents, ipad with skydemon/navpro, torch, sunglasses, charts, kneeboard…….what else? Pictures are also welcomed.

When instructing I don’t usually carry a flight bag.

Personal documents: They are all in my wallet which I carry.

ipad with skydemon/navpro: IPad yes, but no specific Aviation software. But it has all the manuals and checklists of our training aircraft as well as the training syllabi.

torch: No. Unless I go night flying but that does not happen often.

sunglasses: No. Must be ten years since I last wore sunglasses.

charts: No. I don’t have paper charts since at least 20 years. The students bring their charts.

kneeboard: No. I use the iPad for that.

what else? Nothing.

Pictures are also welcomed.

That would be boring… In one hand I hold my headset bag (into which I shove my wallet, mobile phones and car key – I hate having stuff in my pockets) and in the other hand I have the iPad.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Hand radio, headset, chewing gums, power bank, post-it stickers…

LFSB

Well, technically, I don’t go anywhere without my backpack, and in it I have my wallet (hate carrying it in the pants because it would ruin the pants due to how thick it is (from bills of course, not cash), sunglasses (I instruct mostly on the DA20, it would be a nightmare without sunglasses), mobile phone, sometimes kneeboard to write comments on.

Paper charts are carried by student (if he is still a PPL student in the beginning stages of navigation), and we use company iPads for journey logging, and have Jepp VFR NAV and FD apps for nav if needed for the mission.

Rest of the stuff in the backpack is useless clutter of tangled up usb cables, various keys, passport, and my active noise reduction earphones (which i put in my ears, and then put the passive headset on top of them, improvised setup but works great).

In my instructor bag (corduroy made by my mother in 1991 – and of course has a name tag sown in it)

Nexus 7 and ram mount – I use the freebie airspace avoid software
Paper chart – One million scale chart. Although I use the students CAA 1/2 million one for teaching
Francis IFR foggles
x2 instrument cover up sucker things
USB charger and cable. High capacity one so if I ever have to fly in an aircraft without a cigarette point my phone/nexus are always fully charged.
IFR approach charts for airfields that we conduct training at.
Spare set of glasses

I also have a double headset case – David Clark ANR for me. HM40 for my student – again from 1991. Although its now on the second cable.

I no longer carry a touch as there is one on my mobile phone which is in my pocket.

Dark chocolate (level check/refill as a preflight action), spare set of glasses, dipstick, assorted checklists with pencil notes on most of them, a mini iPad with e.g. SkyDemon, JeppFD, AeroPlus FlightPlan, Telegram, CloudAhoy, YR.NO, GoodReader for AOM’s, SOPs and other nice documents; a pintoboard with a few forms and approach plates, headlamp, spare AA batteries, mini Cr-5 circular slide rule (I have forgotten how to use it, but the sleeve is good for fuel carnets and crew cards), a tiny tire pressure gauge, a couple of burp bags, a couple of pens, a cigarette plug charger for the iPad, and a small green cap that looks silly but the shadow helps, small paper towels, fuel drainer, couple of hangar keys, interception procedures as suggested by GM1 NCO.GEN.135(a)(11). Oh, and my headset, mostly an old Bose X.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

My license and logbook ought to be somewhere in the bag also. And I also forgot to mention the circular rubber things I stick on the AI to make that subtle simulation of a gyro failure (or to cover it up if it fails for real), and sometimes I also carry a set of foggles.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message