Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bonanza Instruction - Single Yoke Rules?

I’m potentially going to be giving some dual instruction to a new Bonanza owner. The aircraft has the single “throw over” yoke installed.

I’m quite aware of the hazards of attempting to instruct with a single yoke, but what are the EASA rules?

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

EASA doesn’t allow it at least for the CBIR training. It is explicitly mentioned. I had checked it, because I’m having lessons in my Bonanza and it does have two yokes, but no copilot brakes.

Both student and instructor need to have access to the primary flight controls, which yokes are, and brakes aren’t.

If this also applies to type rating, I don’t know…

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 02 Jun 16:05
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

These are not EASA rules, but local CAA rules. Have to check with your CAA.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks guys.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

I would say that it all depends on what kind of instructing you are doing and these are my guesses:

Basic flight training to a PPL or similar: Not OK, since the instructor cannot intervene when necessary
Difference training: OK, since it does not really require flying to be done, just some instruction which can be on the ground and “advice” when airborne
Just fly with a new owner for him to get to know the type: OK, since he legally can act as PIC. You are just a passenger with a lot of knowledge and advice

I would not act as PIC on this aircraft if the owner/student had the controls on his side.

ESSZ, Sweden
These are not EASA rules

Yes it seems they are, if the instruction is within an ATO:

AMC1 ORA.ATO.135 Training aircraft and FSTDs ALL ATOs, EXCEPT THOSE PROVIDING FLIGHT TEST TRAINING
(a) The number of training aircraft may be affected by the availability of FSTDs.
(b) Each training aircraft should be:
(1) equipped as required in the training specifications concerning the course in which it is used;
(2) except in the case of balloons or single-seat aircraft, fitted with primary flight controls that are instantly accessible by both the student and the instructor (for example dual flight controls or a centre control stick). Swing-over flight controls should not be used.

Quite apart from regulation, be aware that the swing-over mechanism is not fail-safe. I know that from recent second-hand experience, knowing both the student and the instructor concerned. The yoke stuck in the left-hand (student) position for a while. Aircraft control was somewhat degraded as they fought to get the yoke back to the right side. Rather unpleasant they said, as the student was not ready/competent to land the Bonanza.

Last Edited by huv at 04 Jun 12:18
huv
EKRK, Denmark

FWIW, I tried it once in flight. I was in RHS, fellow pilot LHS. Let’s just say, I would NEVER do it again. I fitted a dual control unit, specifically for training. The single yoke is in a cupboard. Not sure if the above sentence is advisory, or mandatory, (2), regardless, I do not think it a good idea.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It is a mandatory rule by EASA for CBIR training aircraft outside an ATO to have for student and IRI full access to the PRIMARY flight controls. If it’s just type rating and the PIC is in the left seat, it might be ok, legally. I’m no instructor so cannot comment whether it’s a good idea. I was happy my instructor accepted having no brakes.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 04 Jun 13:42
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

@chrisparker

if you need dual yoke i can borrow you my spare one pls let me know

fly2000

How easy is it to remove the single and fix a dual yoke?

Biggin Hill
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message