Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Declared Training Organisation Teaching how to fly on your aircraft

I’ve just completed my FI training (A very difficult thing to organise if you are otherwise professionally occupied).
My plan is to teach how to fly to friends & family on my 172 thanks to the DTO.

The last official news about DTO is there.

https://www.easa.europa.eu/document-library/opinions/opinion-112016

My understanding is that the next step is for the EU legislative bodies to turn the draft into an official piece of legislation.
How does it work? There has been no news on the EASA website since September 2016. I tried to look for the official agenda of the European Parliament but could not find anything about DTO.

But initially your FI will be restricted and your instruction will be supervised by a more experienced instructor, won’t it? How would that work in your scenario?

LFPT, LFPN

The regulation does not describe the role of the supervisor does it ?

No idea. I have not looked up the regs around that.

LFPT, LFPN

I could not find anything. So it’s up to the supervisor and the DTO to agree on the definition of the role of the supervisor
It can be just a name in a file, and a piece of advice requested when necessary.
The FI while restricted must have his students first solo & first cross country solo signed off by an unrestricted FI, who may be the supervisor, but may also be any unrestricted FI.

My conclusion is that the restriction is not really restrictive.

An FI is restricted for the first 100 hrs, and for the first 25 times he sends someone solo. As long as an FI is restricted, he needs to be supervised by an unrestricted FI, and he cannot send a student for a first solo or a first cross-country solo.

Last Edited by huv at 20 Jun 16:16
huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv: the question was “What is the actual duty of the supervising FI”.
My answer is “According the the regulation, be nominated by the DTO and that’s it”.

My initial question was: what about the legislative process? And sofar no answer.

As far as I can tell, there is nothing in the FCL or the ORA, current or NPA’s, about the role of the supervisor. It could be one of those many little administrative details that is left up to the CAAs to decide – or it could be in some AMC & GM that has yet to be written.

With a friend, I started a Registered Facility up on my own in 2002, and we had a similar situation as we were both freshly rated FI’s then. A senior FI that we both knew, hung around for the first couple of lessons and after that I think we just briefed him on the phone before every lesson, if he was not actually on the airport. I never quite realised what exactly was required for the supervision to be adequate, but the senior FI was also an FE and so knew the CAA well, so we assumed that he knew, and that he performed the level of oversight required of him until we were lifted from our restricted status.

But do you just want to “teach your friends and family to fly”, or do you plan to train them for a pilot’s certificate? In my experience, it is difficult as a sole instructor to train a student adequately for the Skill Test, without another instructor doing at least a couple of lessons. Being a newly qualified instructor, that would be even more difficult. It takes experience as an instructor to recognize the different kind of learning obstructions that most students will encounter. The supervising instructor (or another experienced instructor) could be a very valuable help for that, and most likely reduce both the lessons required and the amount of frustration on the part of the student in order to gain competency.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

My supervisor would be a very experienced instructor, based on the same airfield. He would help and fly with me from time to time.

9 Posts
Sign in to add your message