Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Licence renewal instructor required

Since my Falco has been grounded since January and I have nothing else to fly my licence has lapsed.
I can’t bring myself to pay £250 to fly a C150 with an epaulette wearing airline wannabe so am hoping to find a friendly self-employed instructor and aircraft in which to get my licence renewed. I’m based in South Bucks so Elstree, Denham, Booker and White Waltham are all accessible but might be happy to travel further if the right package is available.
Do let me know if you can help or even if what I’m asking for is realistic!

Forever learning
EGTB

Assuming you hold an EASA PPL:
You must if your SEP has lapsed get a paper issued by an ATO or RTF saying that you don’t need any retraining, or that they have provided you with the required retraining before being allowed to take the proficiency check with an FE/CRE.
If your SEP (your licence itself doesn’t lapse) was still valid, a proficiency check with an FE/CRE would have been allowed.
If it’s a LAPL or an NPPL it’s a different story, you don’t need an ATO nor RTF.
At the Pilot Centre at Denham, they don’t wear any epaulette and are very professional.

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 13 Aug 17:59

Yes, EASA licence.
For personal reasons I cannot bring myself to give Denham’s owners any money.
Looks like I’ll have to suffer the epaulettes!

Forever learning
EGTB

You must if your SEP has lapsed get a paper issued by an ATO or RTF saying that you don’t need any retraining, or that they have provided you with the required retraining before being allowed to take the proficiency check with an FE/CRE.

Is that really correct? Last time I looked, you could renew a JAA or EASA PPL after any length of time, with a flight with an Examiner.

The potential retraining issue is for an expired IR.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is that really correct?

Yes it is, see FCL.740 and the corresponding AMCs.

Last Edited by tschnell at 13 Aug 21:15
Friedrichshafen EDNY

You can wait until April 2018. Retraining with an instructor out of an RTF/ATO should be allowed again.

Thanks to Balliol of this forum I am now a pilot again.
I can highly recommend that anyone in need of reval or renewal drop him a line.

Forever learning
EGTB

Piotr_Szut wrote:

Retraining with an instructor out of an RTF/ATO should be allowed again.

Yes, a school is no longer required, if the rating lapsed less than 3 years ago. I had to bring that to the attention of our CAA this week because they refused to let a stand-alone instructor with a now void RF give the required refresher training. It turned out they were not trying to gold plate anything; they simply had not seen the reg’s update. EASA made Part-FCL updates 4 times in 2018 alone.

FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings
Regulation (EU) 2018/1119
(a) …
(b) Renewal. If a class or type rating has expired, the applicant shall take the following steps:
(1) pass a proficiency check in accordance with Appendix 9 to this Annex;
(2) prior to the proficiency check referred to in point (1), take refresher training at an ATO, where necessary to reach the level of proficiency to safely operate the relevant class or type of aircraft. However, the applicant may take the training:
(i) …
(ii) at a DTO, at an ATO or with an instructor, where the rating expired for no more than three years and the rating was a non-high-performance single-engine piston class rating or a TMG class rating.

Last Edited by huv at 16 May 20:51
huv
EKRK, Denmark

a school is no longer required, if the rating lapsed less than 3 years ago

Worth a mention that the UK CAA doesn’t recognise this bit. For any IR that is expired (i.e. a year and a day) they want a course completion certificate. This is the case even if you have another (valid) ICAO IR; FCL740 covers that bit too. I have just been around this loop and the CAA here doesn’t understand this regulation… the IR I renewed in Aug 2018 has just arrived

The bit about the 3 years is true. Also a freelance examiner cannot renew an IR if the piece of paper doesn’t have the IR on it anymore e.g. because it was sent to the CAA for a PPL renewal / reissue and they saw the IR had lapsed and took it off. I reckon this is true for any license or a rating.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter the full text states the under 3 years with an instructor is only for SEP and TMG Class ratings

The UK permits Examiners to do licensing action (an admin function) to renew or revalidate ratings that are on the front of the licence – any reprint of your licence for any reason will move expired ratings to the back and the examiner cannot do the revalidation/renewal action. Other states do not even permit examiners to do any renewal/revalidation (LBA for one I think?).

Now retired from forums best wishes
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message