Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Non-zero attitude

That one is arguable both ways, because most planes, right up to an A380, fly with about a 2.5 degree up pitch.

My AHRS shows the same – 2.5 deg UP. It was levelled with the aircraft level on the ground.

I think I will start a new thread on this, as I wish to veer off piste.

If there are aircraft which show 2.5° nose up in flight as standard, how do other instructors teach attitude based instrument flying?

I normally go for three attitudes – 0°, -2.5° and +8°. How do you teach that? As 0°, +2.5° and +10.5° or what.

It just seems all wrong. I’d rather adjust the display, as I would on an Aspen or vacuum AI.

Or am I being stoopid again?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

I’d rather adjust the display, as I would on an Aspen

That is not permissible. First of all, the Aspen config menu is not user accessible and when changing values, the installation manual provides the guidance to be within the certification limits. Here is what the Aspen IM says:

The aircraft levelling indices are found in the aircraft’s maintenance manuals and used to weigh the aircraft. On Cessnas there are usually two extra rivets near the horizontal stabilizer indicating the level point (marked as A).

Also keep this in mind when messing with the Aspen attitude correction. The Aspen config requires a thorough understanding of the installation manual and even then, you can’t legally modify it (I know this would prevent neither your nor myself from doing it).

Last Edited by achimha at 04 Oct 09:21

OK, I accept that (sort of ) but my question remains – how do instructors teach on AI where the pitch attitude is so far off?

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

… how do instructors teach on AI where the pitch attitude is so far off?

We teach them to maintain a specific pitch attitude for specific phases of flight. As most of our students – at least those who are doing an IR and beyond – aim for airline jobs this is consistent with what they will have to do on their future airliners: Fly pitch and power. For every training aircraft on our fleet (starting with the C152 for which I find it a bit far fetched to he honest…) the students are supposed to memorise a half-dozen values for pitch attitudes and power settings which they will need during the flight. It really only works well for the Seminole where one sees pitch attitudes in excess of 5 degrees in some phases of flight, but as we do lots of training in our Seminole FNPT the students will get familiar with non-zero pitch attitudes in level flight.

EDDS - Stuttgart

On my SR22’s Avidyne PFD it’s 1.5° pitch up in level flight but it doesn’t bother me much, because I know it.

It can easily be adjusted – but it’s actually not something the – average – user should do. If you change certain values on the set-up page you will have to re-calibrate the whole system (magnetometer).

Fly the numbers and the view? :P

(Bear in mind I only have a couple of hundred hours FI, but this has never been an issue….. I teach mostly SR22 transition training)

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

I’m surprised these displays don’t have a simple pitch offset like mechanical gyros often do – which just move the aircraft symbol on the instrument without doing anything underlying. The G5 has a simple pitch offset which is completely separate from the level flight calibration.

Andreas IOM

On the Avidyne PFD – if you know what keys you have to press in what order – you can easily adjust it.
But you have to know what you are doing, because if you delete some of the other settings you’re in trouble.

Timothy wrote:

If there are aircraft which show 2.5° nose up in flight as standard, how do other instructors teach attitude based instrument flying?

I normally go for three attitudes – 0°, -2.5° and +8°. How do you teach that? As 0°, +2.5° and +10.5° or what.

You can’t really take attitudes without taking power into account as well? If you teach attitudes you are assuming students will use the same power setting every time. (otherwise the pitch will be different for level flight).

For airlines I can see how that works as they operate in a very standardized fashion. I’m not sure it’s such a good idea for private pilots. Other than to teach principles of instrument flight.

As referenced earlier, for VFR flying the pitch attitude you need to remember is dependent on the length of your back!

I’m not sure it’s such a good idea for private pilots.

I beg to differ.

Other than to teach principles of instrument flight.

That’s what I am doing.

EGKB Biggin Hill
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message