Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you define EASA cross country time?

CLE wrote:

The Part-FCL clearly states: “Cross-country” means a flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a preplanned route, using standard navigation procedures. Note that there is no requirement that the point of departure and arrival be different from one another. In other words a flight taking off and landing at the same airfield would qualify for cross country as long as it has been preplanned and navigated using “standard navigation procedures”.
The track must also be min 25 NM from the point of departure and leaving the vincinity of the field.
CLE wrote:
I need the 50 hours of cross country flight to start my CBIR.
Any local flight of >45min (assuming PA28/C172 normal cruise speeds) with only one landing (not just touch-and-go’s, no orbiting above the field) should do the trick.

ESMK, Sweden
The track must also be min 25 NM from the point of departure and leaving the vincinity of the field

Says who?

Friedrichshafen EDNY

tschnell wrote:

Says who?
The Glossary of terms to the old Swedish regulation LFS 1996:26 (equivalent to the JAR-1). Given the more recent publications cited above (and in other fora), it has probably been relegated to a rule of thumb, which was still used during my PPL training 3 years ago and the basic requirement when submitting my cross-country hours for CB-IR training 2 weeks ago.

ESMK, Sweden

I log as cross country time those trips where I land at an airport more than 50 NM (in a straight line) from the departure drome. That’s most of my flying these days. Got into the habit from FAA cross country logging rules.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 21 Nov 10:23
Tököl LHTL

I do the same.

One interesting Q is whether anyone in EASA-land logged the 300nm CPL x/c flight with the 3rd landing being back at base Or even all landings being at base

In fact that whole subject is a can of worms, when you get around to the subject of an overnight stop on the CPL x/c flight… AFAIK an overnight stop is not explicitly banned in FAA- or EASA-land.

This is quite funny too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

One interesting Q is whether anyone in EASA-land logged the 300nm CPL x/c flight with the 3rd landing being back at base Or even all landings being at base

Probably not, as the requirement is for two landings at an airport that is not the point of initial departure. You don’t have to return to the base, either, just two legs will do as long as they are 300nm or more in total.

Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Part-FCL doesn’t require a third landing.

This shall include a VFR cross-country flight of at least 540 km (300 NM) in the course of which full-stop landings at two different aerodromes shall be flown as PIC;

I’m stuck in this question again..

As I am doing ME/IR now my instructor insists that cross country is a flight at least 25NM from the departure aerodrome, which was the old Swedish definition.

I keep insisting that the old Swedish definition is not valid any more and I have to count my cross country time according to the EASA definition below:

mh wrote:

“Cross-country” means a flight between a point of departure and a point of arrival following a preplanned
route, using standard navigation procedures.

Now I have enough time for my licences regardless which definition I use, however, will I get in any trouble if I use the old Swedish definition as my instructor insists on that? Basically the question is which number should I write in the ME/IR application to the CAA…

Such a mess…

ESME, ESMS

Also, can I use hours from the PPL training for the my XC requirement? Or do they all have to be hours after I passed my PPL checkride?

ESME, ESMS

I’m curious about the second one too. Also, could you in theory do your skills test before you had the 50 hours CC? Part-FCL just says ‘Applicants for an IR shall….’, but your application is only made at the time when you go to the authority with ALL of the requirements met. It doesn’t specify an order.

EIMH, Ireland
Sign in to add your message