Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How do you define EASA cross country time?

The application will be submitted after my checkride. However, the examiner is not going to sign it off unless all the requirements are met.

ESME, ESMS

Yes, I think I remember that from PPL. I wonder how in detail they go through the logbook to confirm the CC hours.

EIMH, Ireland

I don’t think anyone will ever go through the logbook. However, if there is ever an accident, or for any other reason an investigation, then they will go through everything and if something doesn’t look good, e.g. XC time requirement for IR, then all licenses after that can be invalidated.

ESME, ESMS

In the UK, we have a similar problem with the definition of “IFR”. If you meet the Instrument Flight Rules (as most flights do, in practice) is it OK just to add that flight to your IFR column?

EGKB Biggin Hill

I guess if you are flying on a IFR flight plan, then you are flying IFR, regardless of whether it is IMC or VMC. It is about the rules, not the conditions. But let’s not deviate from my question until I get an answer

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

I guess if you are flying on a IFR flight plan, then you are flying IFR, regardless of whether it is IMC or VMC. It is about the rules, not the conditions.

That’s why I mentioned the UK. There is no such rule. IFR is a state of mind.

EGKB Biggin Hill

IFR is a state of mind.

Not really.

will I get in any trouble if I use the old Swedish definition as my instructor insists on that?

Get him to email you that advice and that will cover your 6 o’clock for ever, because you are entitled to assume he is an expert on the regulations

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Not really.

Sorry for bumping this up again but just curious about this.

In the UK as far as I know one can be flying WITH NO FLIGHT PLAN SUBMITTED, in Class G, either under IFR or VFR.
One can also change from IFR to VFR rules as he pleases. Intermittently as he flies through clouds, if reduced ad absurdum.

So… in the UK whether one is IFR or VFR, can de facto become a state of mind?
Provided all other conditions are met: aircraft is IFR equipped, pilot has an IR/IMC etc.

EDDW, Germany

Alpha_Floor wrote:

So… in the UK whether one is IFR or VFR, can de facto become a state of mind?

That’s true everywhere if you can fly IFR in class G without a flight plan. Same thing in Sweden, actually. So, indeed, IFR is a state of mind.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the UK you have to select squawk 2000 (unless instructed otherwise) under IFR.

EGTR
Sign in to add your message