Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

FAA ATP to EASA PPL - BFR?

I have a student that holds a valid FAA ATP, but he does not have a current BFR. He wants to get his EASA PPL. A FAA instructor told him he needs to the BFR before “conversion”, but I can’t really find any basis for this in 1178/2011, Annex III.

As I see it, he needs to do the Air Law and Human Performance exams, and then do the skilltest with an EX.

Input?

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

A FAA instructor told him he needs to the BFR before “conversion”,

Why is an FAA instructor involved in a conversion from an FAA license to an EASA license?

An FAA license is valid for life. It needs a BFR before the privileges can be exercised, but this guy is not intending to exercise them.

It is up to the Norwegian CAA to decide what they want.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks Peter. Well, I guess he talked to an FAA instructor friend or something. I’ll schedule him for a skilltest and be done with it.

Norway, where a gallon of avgas is ch...
ENEG

I don’t know the Norwegian rules on accepting ICAO licenses but the way it is here, your FAA license holder will also need 100hrs TT post-checkride, but if he has an FAA ATP then he must have at least 1500hrs (including 100hrs night) so will meet that one He will also have an FAA CPL/IR of course; you cannot do the ATP checkride unless you have that (no way to go PPL → ATP in FAA-land, and there is no “frozen ATPL” which is a CPL/IR and the 14 exam passes).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message