Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

PC Flight Simulators - any good for IR practice?

Finners wrote:

Does Track-IR not involve looking away from the screen?

No. The picture moves with your head movement. Obviously these are much smaller than in real life but still direction and movement are consistent.

A curved screen or even more a wrap around visual would do even more but I find that even the old TV screen i use does a good job.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Being stuck inside for the foreseeable future – any good ideas on a plug and play Simulator solution – one that comes with the whole shebang. By plug and play, I mean plug and play :-). My aim is to fly instrument procedures etc… (ideally in a Comanche with Avydine kit…)

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Just bought the TBM900 hotstart on xplane, it has a great execution of the G1000nxi (with ADF – which is a first on a G1000 xplane), and can really help to play IFR.
Look at that radar ;).

And that poor landing:

Last Edited by greg_mp at 26 Mar 16:50
LFMD, France

Being stuck inside for the foreseeable future – any good ideas on a plug and play Simulator solution – one that comes with the whole shebang. By plug and play, I mean plug and play

There is a company in the states that will do you a package, but if i remember correctly they are intending that you will be buying the PC from them at the same time.

If you buy a Yoke, pedals, and a basic throttle.
Add that to a copy of Xplane then you can get up and running fairly quickly.
With that you’ll be able to fly a 172 with six pack or glass, or a Baron. (Quite relevant)Plus a range of other stuff (less relevant)
You can have some fun or practice IFR quite successfully.
I would recommend checking that your PC has a bit of power though.

If you deviate from that, be prepared for a new hobby, whether you want one or not.
It becomes involved and time consuming very quickly IMHO.

Even buying a perfectly common, add-on aircraft may require hours of internet searches to discover the bug fixes.
Commonly expected customer support will point you back to the internet via a brief email reply.

Last Edited by GA_Pete at 27 Mar 00:28
United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message