Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR trainer software (and specifically OnTop 9.5), anyone?

Colleagues, I am looking for IFR skill refresher software for a home simulator. I used ASA OnTop/ IPTrainer suite in the past and liked it a lot, but the old version I have isn’t quite compatible with my current hardware, and the latest one (OnTop 9.5) has been discontinued and no one sells it anymore. Does anyone know where to get it, or could anyone recommend an adequate replacement? A full-fledged flight simulator like X-Plane might work, but I am specifically looking for the training functionality: specific exercises, automatic assessment of trainee’s errors, flight data recorder, and the possibility to restart the flight from an arbitrary point along the track.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

RANT XL is worth every penny I spent on it: I did had a full blown FSX + XPlane simulator at home with all gadgets that I enjoyed using it in winters, now sold it and now run all my nav/instrument refresher on RANT XL, quick and simple and unlike FSX resist the gaming temptation (flying F18 IFR low altitudes)

Unfortunatly I have to use it on Windows!

Last Edited by Ibra at 11 Aug 16:50
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

@Ibra, thanks, I’ve already installed RANT, but it’s not exactly what I need. The instrument procedures are nice, but I am looking for a more realistic simulation of the actual cockpit workload (including unexpected ATC instructions, instrument failures, turbulence, etc.) and support for my Saitek yoke…

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I usually, nailed each bit individually XPlane has more realistic feel of (visual/instrument) flying, FSX is nice for real-time weather and flight panel ergonomie and scenary, rant xl you do radio nav procedures…

I tried to get more realistic ATC workloadwise while fliying FSX+Vatsim mannually in a turbulent soup, but it largely depends on when you connect and location of traffic (I don’t fly to heathrow in B737 at 8pm, so I really don’t feel I get something similar to what I would expect with IFR in light IMC outside class A and airways) or sometimes it is just way beyond what single ops pilot can cope with…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I train IFR on X-Plane, with Brunner yokes and pedals, and it works beautifully. The skills transfer directly onto the real aircraft.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Ibra wrote:

RANT XL is worth every penny I spent on it

Has RANT XL been updated recently? I looked at it (the demo version) four years ago. At that time it hadn’t been updated for a long time and didn’t handle large screens properly.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Timothy wrote:

I train IFR on X-Plane, with Brunner yokes and pedals, and it works beautifully.

Brunner has at least two force feedback yokes. Which one do you use?

Airborne_Again wrote:

Brunner has at least two force feedback yokes. Which one do you use?

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-yoke/

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-yoke/

They have another one (https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-ng-yoke/) about €700 cheaper. Do you know the difference between the two?

Sorry, no. That was not available when I bought mine.

EGKB Biggin Hill
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message