Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brace for impact - DTO is published!

Finally! DTO was published in EUR-Lex a week ago and will enter into force on the 3rd of September. Great to finally see it, I thought it was stuck forever in an EU vicious circle. The AMC has not been published yet but I have heard that it is on its way. Great stuff for aspiring flight schools!

Link:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/SV/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32018R1119

ESSZ, Sweden

Well…

1) only LAPL and PPL. No IR training possible whatsoever. Whilst this was known before, it still remains a big disappointment.

2) to start a DTO, one doesn’t require approval from the local CAA, as promised. However,… the required training programme DOES require approval from the local CAA. Hahaha. A good one! That’s typical rulemaking style around here.

In summary, it nowhere is a step towards FAR 61 type flight instruction. It merely is a step to make basic training orgsanisations a little less burocratic again. Essentially, the reintroduced the RF again, merely with a new fancy name.

Not that this is entirely bad, but it’s not what many part time flight instructors had hoped for.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Aug 08:25
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well…

I did not expect to have the IR within the scope of the DTO either. But when the Basic IR comes, I am quite sure that it will be within the scope of DTO. That has been clearly communicated to EASA from the GA industry.

In Sweden we have a template so that all future DTO can, if they want, use the template that has been pre-approved by the CAA. So the DTOs will have minimum work, the only downside is that they “must” follow the template syllabus, which is the same as in the AMC of Part-FCL. This template has been prepared by the Swedish Aero Club and approved by the Swedish CAA. So in practice, you just fill out the form and start training.

I think we all agree on that the FAA may have a simple system but at the moment it is far from what the EU will tolerate here. But I think that we might be able to tweek the DTO for the future so it gets better.

ESSZ, Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

2) to start a DTO, one doesn’t require approval from the local CAA, as promised. However,… the required training programme DOES require approval from the local CAA. Hahaha. A good one! That’s typical rulemaking style around here.

Isn’t that a change from the first DTO proposal? As far as I recall, it said that a DTO could start operating immediately after making its declaration without waiting for approval of the training programme. However in case of non-approval, operations would have to stop.

In any case, as Fly310 wrote, the Royal Swedish Aeroclub has a very elegant solution. There is a web site where you enter the details of your school and a complete declaration will be automatically generated. As the training programme has been pre-approved by the Swedish CAA the approval for each individual DTO is just a formality.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, that is an unfortunate change which makes it a “declaration” and not a declaration so to say. I am currently having discussions with the Swedish CAA on how we will work on this. Hopefully everyone using the template will get a quick approval.

ESSZ, Sweden

In any case, as Fly310 wrote, the Royal Swedish Aeroclub has a very elegant solution. There is a web site where you enter the details of your school and a complete declaration will be automatically generated. As the training programme has been pre-approved by the Swedish CAA the approval for each individual DTO is just a formality.

A pre-approved declaration. Hmmmm. I mean, the CAA did that ages ago, and called it regulations. But pre-approved declaration sounds better I guess, it can be shortened to “PAD”

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

A pre-approved declaration. Hmmmm. I mean, the CAA did that ages ago, and called it regulations

No, a pre-approved training programme. As far as I know the CAA has not pre-approved training programmes “ages ago”.

Now retired from forums best wishes

No, a pre-approved training programme. As far as I know the CAA has not pre-approved training programmes “ages ago”.

Just a poorly formulated joke, but I think you get the point. Even so, NLF has had a pre-approved training programme since years ago for all clubs in Norway. The gliding division of NLF has had it since they started in 1930s or whenever. The same for microlight. Nothing changes. It just have to be done all over again. People who are not members of NLF, has to do everything by themselves though, only for SEP.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

Just a poorly formulated joke, but I think you get the point.
Sorry, I did not.
Even so, NLF has had a pre-approved training programme since years ago for all clubs in Norway. The gliding division of NLF has had it since they started in 1930s or whenever. The same for microlight. Nothing changes. It just have to be done all over again. People who are not members of NLF, has to do everything by themselves though, only for SEP.
Good for you. From a practical point of view that has been true in Sweden as well for ultralights and gliders as the respective national organisation each have one training organisation and all the clubs with flight training are only branches of that school.

However, that has not been the case for PPL training. The Royal Swedish Aeroclub has not — until the last few years — done much, if anything, to help individual clubs with this. The automatic “DTO generator” with its pre-approved training programme is a major step forward for us.

Also, there is no CAMO in Sweden run by the national aeroclub as there is in Norway. That’s really too bad and too late to do anything about now.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 24 Aug 14:19
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message