Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brace for impact - DTO is published!

That doesn’t mean that the FSTDs are operated by the DTO. That’s for DTOs that use certain simulators, e.g. under contract with an “FSTD operator” (regulated by ORA.FSTD). Also, there might be, for example, a helicopter type rating that could be completed with some FSTD hours (if allowed as per Part-FCL or per the type’s Operational Suitability Data OSD).

Last Edited by ArcticChiller at 12 Sep 17:05

One of the surprises in this regulation for me was the requirement to conduct the full 150 mile QXC as part of the LAPL to PPL training course
(See paragraph11b). On checking the older EASA Part FCL 210.A, it seems this is not a change.

I have come across several students who took the UK NPPL course but ensured they flew the full 150 mile 3 flight QXC rather than the 100 mile 2 flight LAPL QXC.
I had understood that as long as they have flown it at some point in their training before taking the PPL skill test, then it counts.
This does not appear to be the case for the LAPL, regardless of how many hours the pilot has flown prior to the LAP/PPL conversion course.

They do this not just to save money (they still have to fly the total hours) but also because the weather window that allows it within the lower crosswind/cloud limits for student solo can be more difficult to schedule. During the winter months in particular, this can delay progress considerably. It would be nice to have retained this option.

It is also still a problem that LAPLs cannot fly hours that count towards the conversion until their LAPL licence has been issued – a process that currently takes around 4-5 weeks here in the UK.

Another interesting point in the document is the reference to flight simulators/procedure trainers. These are included in the definitions on Page 2 (Para 17 and 20) and also in the application forms. Surely there can’t be many DTOs that would operate FSTDs or BITDs, since they aren’t allowed to do instruction towards instrument flying (apart from the UK IR(R))? Does anybody know of any that DTOs with these certified and in use?

Or are they leaving this in place for the upcoming Basic IR ;)

The DTO is available from the link at the top of this thread repeated here

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

…and if anyone needs a training program, there are templates on www.bazl.admin.ch/flight-school ;-)

That was quite an odyssey until it was published. I heard that initially the wrong draft was voted on by the commission, so they had to repeat the procedure with the right one. Oh well, but finally a solution for the smaller flight schools.

Part-DTO is now published and in force!
It came into force 6 days ago and has largely passed unnoticed
Further details on the EASA website

Fly310 wrote:

You still can, at least according to the Swedish CAA which is good. I have not found anything contradictory now, only of you train for gliding examiners as I stated.

Yes, I agree!

It seems the entire discussion in this thread has been based on a misreading of the regulation…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

You still can, at least according to the Swedish CAA which is good. I have not found anything contradictory now, only of you train for gliding examiners as I stated.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

But I do not really see where it says that you can not start right away? Everything(that I see) about approval before training refers to DTO.GEN.230 (c) which is only applicable to gliding schools that wish to have examiner training.

(post deleted — I didn’t read carefully enough.)

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 31 Aug 09:04
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

…also… good luck with that if you are under the jurisdiction of the German LBA…

Well, I can’t argue with that. Unless you start a German branch of a Swedish DTO. ;)

ESSZ, Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

But you have to agree that the first proposal was better — where you could start as soon as you had submitted your declaration and just had to stop if the CAA didn’t like your training programme?

But I do not really see where it says that you can not start right away? Everything(that I see) about approval before training refers to DTO.GEN.230 (c) which is only applicable to gliding schools that wish to have examiner training.

ESSZ, Sweden

Fly310 wrote:

and start as soon as you get a reply from the CAA.

…also… good luck with that if you are under the jurisdiction of the German LBA…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message