Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an FAA BFR be done in Europe with an EASA FI?

from here

@Qalupalik

A person who holds a instructor certificate granted by a Contracting State, who does not hold an appropriate US flight instructor certificate, is an authorized instructor for the purpose of giving flight training towards a certificate or rating established in 14 CFR 61 but only outside the US. See 14 CFR 61.41.

Wow. Does that possibly also mean that I (an EASA flight instructor, no FAA flight instructor) could do and endorse 61.56 flight reviews when outside of the US? In order to do flight reviews, one has to be an “authorized instructor”. And your post above seems to say that I would be such “authorized instructor”.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 31 Aug 12:06
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Indeed; that would be dynamite. An FAA BFR with an EASA FI.

There has never been any doubt that the “authorised instructor” mentioned generally in the FARs could be any ICAO instructor – this is self evident because thousands of European pilots went to the US and used their European training towards US papers. Myself included, including me getting an FAA PPL in the UK based mostly on my UK PPL training 3 years previously, and later (about 10 years ago) getting an FAA CPL, also in the UK, similarly.

The BFR aspect has always been seen differently, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Wow. Does that possibly also mean that I (an EASA flight instructor, no FAA flight instructor) could do and endorse 61.56 flight reviews when outside of the US? In order to do flight reviews, one has to be an “authorized instructor”. And your post above seems to say that I would be such “authorized instructor”

My understanding is that you can give training but only endorsements for the training given, but not any required certifications.So I don’t believe you can use your EASA instructor licence to do an FAA Flight Review or IPC.

61.41(b) A flight instructor described in paragraph (a) of this section is only authorized to give endorsements to show training given.

61.56 Flight Review
c) Except as provided in paragraphs (d), (e), and (g) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of an aircraft unless, since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command, that person has—
(1) Accomplished a flight review given in an aircraft for which that pilot is rated by an authorized instructor; and
(2) A logbook endorsed from an authorized instructor who gave the review certifying that the person has satisfactorily completed the review.

61.195 (d) Limitations on endorsements. A flight instructor may not endorse a:
(5) Logbook of a pilot for a flight review, unless that instructor has conducted a review of that pilot in accordance with the requirements of §61.56(a) of this part; or
(6) Logbook of a pilot for an instrument proficiency check, unless that instructor has tested that pilot in accordance with the requirements of §61.57(d) of this part.
Last Edited by NCYankee at 31 Aug 14:07
KUZA, United States

That looks like the BFR or the IPC could be done thus, but you still need an FAA CFI or CFII (respectively) to write into your logbook.

That would still be dynamite

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“A flight instructor may not endorse a … unless that instructor has … " says to me that the logbook entry needs to be made by the instructor who did the flight review or IPC, which would rule out it being done by an EASA-only instructor and then the logbook entry by an FAA CFI/CFII.

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

“A flight instructor may not endorse a … unless that instructor has … " says to me that the logbook entry needs to be made by the instructor who did the flight review or IPC, which would rule out it being done by an EASA-only instructor and then the logbook entry by an FAA CFI/CFII.

I would agree.

KUZA, United States

I agree with all the points made, and didn‘t really expect the outcome to by any different. Still, this „authorized instructor“ concept is interesting.

What does EASA think of 1:1 accepting training received from non EASA instructors? Oh well, most training must be accomplished within a training organisation anyway…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How would an EASA instructor cover the ground portion of the BFR ? If not FAA-certificated he/she wouldn’t have the knowledge to do so.

I think all the FAA are saying is that they will recognize training hours from any ICAO state towards a rating or certificate….as do most countries…except EASA for some absurd reason.

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

You can actually meet the one hour ground portion requirement through the “Wings” programme by completing online courses, webinars etc.

But the definition given in the FARs for the instructor specifically states

(ii) A person who holds a flight instructor certificate issued under part 61 of this chapter and is in compliance with § 61.197, when conducting ground training or flight training in accordance with the privileges and limitations of his or her flight instructor certificate

So to meet the flight review requirements of 61.56(c) it has to be conducted by an FAA certified FI.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States
67 Posts
Sign in to add your message