Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an FAA BFR be done in Europe with an EASA FI?

@Qalupalik: Thank you for the info. How much is one point going to forward the due date for the Flight Review?

EDLE, Netherlands

Interesting. I have an FAA ground instructor certificate, which allows me to deliver the ground portion of the BFR.

I was considering going for CRI on my UK licence (for reasons unrelated to this thread). Would the combination of the two allow me to offer the whole BFR to a candidate – flight portion on EASA CRI, ground+signature on FAA?

EBZW

@AeroPlus, a complete phase satisfies the flight review requirement for 12 months.

@Berto, over the past fortnight I’ve talked with FPMs at six different district offices. Each was positive about crediting suitable flight activities done with non-FAA instructors/examiners. Particularly proficiency checks because the outcome and flight activity content could be readily established and compared with the Airman Certification Standards. However note the preferred format in the WINGS flight instructor guide:

The most effective WINGS training activities are holistic and scenario-based. By that we mean that WINGS Instructors evaluate and train pilots in the performance of flight operations – not to execute an isolated series of maneuvers. Scenario-based holistic training emphasizes and accelerates development of critical thinking, risk management, and flight management skills that are necessary to prevent pilot-induced accidents.

WINGS should expand pilots’ horizons.

Earning a WINGS phase should be challenging and fun. Planning and successful execution of an operation slightly beyond a pilot’s comfort zone is very satisfying. T he pilot has not only demonstrated minimum standards of performance but has learned something new that improves performance on common operations and adds a new capability to the repertoire. Therefore, a prime objective of every WINGS flight is to learn something new and/or learn how to do something better.

Today I received an email from one FPM who after double checking AC 61-91J expressed doubt on whether it was permissible. Although most FPMs were positive about validating credits it’s important for policy to be consistent. I have prepared a request for clarification from the National FAASTeam Program Manager in Westerville.

Accredited courses and seminars delivered by external providers, such as AOPA Air Safety Institute, give WINGS credit. I have no idea how an FAA ground instructor should go about developing recognised courses and it’s an excellent question for one of the FAASTeam Program Managers.

The general feeling is that the flight training for a flight review itself can only be given by a US-certificated flight instructor and a firm answer can only be given by the Office of the Chief Counsel. If on the other hand the National FPM gives a favourable response then your CRI could be acceptable for WINGS flight activities done in lieu of a flight review.

London, United Kingdom

@Qalupalik – are you aware of any further clarification on the subject of getting training with a non-FAA instructor credited for a FAA flight review?

I need a FR to make my piggyback (61.75) valid and am having a hard time finding a FAA instructor in Poland, so I’m grasping at straws. Thank you, as always!

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

need a FR to make my piggyback (61.75) valid and am having a hard time finding a FAA instructor in Poland,

If that’s not too far for you, there are several in Austria. I personally know one of them.

Flying an N-reg in Europe on a 61.75 is a flight review mandatory or is it enough if the EASA license and rating are valid?

Last Edited by Snoopy at 11 Oct 23:05
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Flying an N-reg in Europe on a 61.75 is a flight review mandatory or is it enough if the EASA license and rating are valid?

It is mandatory. You have to have one before you use the 61.75 initially then the normal rules apply.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks, does it mean after the initial FR a valid underlying EASA license and rating is sufficient to fly n-reg in the EU? To fly in the US, is a biennial FR required?

always learning
LO__, Austria

The BFR is still required as with any US certificate.

EGTK Oxford

I think I’ve posted this before, but how is an EASA CFI going to conduct the ground portion? This covers charts and regs, not something any EASA CFI would have a clue about.

Sign in to add your message