Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an FAA BFR be done in Europe with an EASA FI?

As stated in this thread previously, WINGS credits could qualify for the ground portion, right? Or, I guess, a Skype session with a FAA FI? ;-)

Austria/Germany, or, for that matter, Miami/Chicago/NYC, are not too far per se, in a pinch, but more complicated. But yes, they will work as a contingency. For now I can fly within Poland on my EASA license, but it is (geographically) limiting. The fact that I also need a HPA and complex endorsement complicate things further, but since I have the Part-FCL.710 endorsements for VP, RG and T (turbo) in my underlying EASA license it is mentally easier for me to take the position that these suffice (and yes, I do want the FAA endorsements too).

I need the license to fly a N-reg around Europe, so US airspace / maps are not of immediate concern, but yes, I get your point and agree with it. Just figured that “the only stupid question is the one not asked”. Heck, I could use it as a “ferry permit” to fly to Austria to get the real thing in my plane. Wishful thinking…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

I understand your frustration, I was very tempted to go UK-LeTouquet for trip and get my BFR ;)

I mean get someone with an FAA to fly it with you to Austria and then you fly it on the way back with a signature on your logbook?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

There are lots of FAA CFIs around Europe. Fewer CFIIs because keeping a CFII current is harder (you have to do the 6/6 rolling currency, at least).

Perhaps very few in Poland.

Or maybe fewer nowadays, but all the N-reg owners need a BFR every 2 years so they must be doing it somehow. Ask a local N-reg owner?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I appreciate all the suggestions, I really do. That said, the ability to do the flight portion with an EASA FI would be easiest, both now and in the future, so I want to make sure that option is truly not available before I pursue the other options (each of them has a downside – logistics, insurance, time).

Come to think of it, Aero Poznań do FAA training, I talked to them about an IR, I’ll call them about a FR. They are in Poland, so I can just fly there myself and be done. Unless they tell me I have to get rated for the SF50 in order to get a complex endorsement… ;-) Well, maybe in their sim…

Or study up on the IR written, fly to the US to take the test and get the FR taken care of at the same time…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

Fewer CFIIs because keeping a CFII current is harder (you have to do the 6/6 rolling currency, at least).

While a CFII would need to have 6/6 currency if they are to act as PIC using their pilot certificate in order to fly under IFR, there is often no need for the CFII to fly under IFR or to act as PIC for a training flight. If they are not acting as PIC, they don’t need a to be current. They also don’t need a medical unless they are a required crew member, which would be the case if they are a safety pilot. So to conduct a Flight Review, it is entirely feasible that the instructor not have a medical and rely on the pilot’s currency in all respects during the review. However, in the case of an IPC, it is not practical for the instructor to not have a current medical as they have to perform as a safety pilot.

KUZA, United States

tmo, I held off on submitting the request at the national level to avoid evoking an undesirably risk-averse interpretation.

All but one of the ten FPMs contacted were agreeable to crediting a suitable non-FAA training session or proficiency check towards the WINGS flight activity requirement. Most thought it was a brilliant idea and were delighted by the opportunity to increase pilot participation. The only hesitant FPM subsequently agreed after liaising with his POC.

The other component of WINGS crediting, the knowledge activity, may be done online through FAASafety.gov. The credit for a flight activity such as above needs to be applied manually by any FPM upon presentation of corroborating logs or records. See FPM directory (link). WINGS account creation and knowledge course enrolment steps are covered in the WINGS Manual (pdf link).

While any US airman certificate holder may participate in WINGS only a standard certificate may be linked to an FAASafety.gov account. This means the Quick Wings feature isn’t available to pilots holding only a restricted airman certificate, eg 61.75. That makes no difference in these circumstances requiring FPM involvement.

172driver wrote:

I think I’ve posted this before, but how is an EASA CFI going to conduct the ground portion? This covers charts and regs, not something any EASA CFI would have a clue about.

The WINGS pilot proficiency programme is an alternative to the ordinary flight review. Only the flight activity done with the non-FAA instructor or examiner needs to be credited. The knowledge activity may be completed online at FAASafety.gov.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

The knowledge activity may be completed online at FAASafety.gov.

You are correct. I had forgotten that you can do the entire ground portion of the BFR via the WINGS credit system.

Hello folks,

If anyone needs an FAA Flight Review, IPC or any other endorsement then I visit the UK every other month and can help.

Mo

FAA ATP, CFI, CFII, MEI, AGI, IGI
EGTR, United Kingdom

Qalupalik – In your research, did one flight count for three WINGS flight activities? Also, if you’re able to share an FPM that you dealt with (DM me perhaps), I am going to try this BFR route by the end of January entirely through WINGS using my EASA validation (landing on a Swiss glacier) as the flight activity. I’ll report back if it works.

I think @ABCD (FAA CFII) is available in Gothenburg

Sweden
Sign in to add your message