Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an FAA BFR be done in Europe with an EASA FI?

@hypoxiacub

If the three flight activities can be satisfactorily accomplished in the course of one flight then they may be validated and the credit obtained. It’s quite likely that any three qualifying flight activities could be covered during a class rating proficiency check for example. They are outcome-based activities without a prescribed time. The program expects the burden on pilots to be comparable to a flight review. If the flight activities are done as separate flights then FAA recommends spreading them out over the year.

London, United Kingdom

Just got this

The FAA Safety Team has a webinar on aftermarket safety equipment on 30
June, sadly at 19:00 EDT, which counts towards WINGS credit. No idea how
many US certificated pilots in Europe know that WINGS exists as an
alternative to the flight review. Perhaps the on-going public emergency
will encourage more pilots to participate, having voiced
reservations about flying with flight instructors right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Doesn’t the Wings Programme only apply to the Oral part of the BFR?
The good news is that Driving Instruction can start again on July 4.
Like Germany, I hope that Flight Instruction can ‘piggyback’ on this relaxation.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

My normal CFI for flight reviews is a non-professional, i.e. making his living in another field, and I spend a fair bit of time with him outside of the plane. He doesn’t fly with strangers much, and I plan no other instruction, so for my purposes in flying the current health concern is not a substantial issue. If a pilot in Europe can find an independent FAA instructor, perhaps it would ease some of their concerns.

Interesting to ponder whether UK law would consider an FAA flight review outside of a school environment to be instruction, given that the ‘student’ is licensed and pilot in command. If the law dictates that an individual cannot fly with others, e.g. outside of their household, that would be clearer in this case.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 26 Jun 14:17
Doesn’t the Wings Programme only apply to the Oral part of the BFR?

Knowledge and flight activities completed under WINGS are an alternative to the flight review. Knowledge phases can be done remotely, eg attending the After Market Safety Equipment webinar (link 1, link 2). At the discretion of the FAA Safety Team Program Manager selected for awarding the flight activities credits, foreign flight/skill tests and competency/proficiency checks and received dual flight instruction can be counted.

London, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

All but one of the ten FPMs contacted were agreeable to crediting a suitable non-FAA training session or proficiency check towards the WINGS flight activity requirement. Most thought it was a brilliant idea and were delighted by the opportunity to increase pilot participation. The only hesitant FPM subsequently agreed after liaising with his POC.

Is it possible to share which FPMs to contact? It looks like this may be the only practical route for my BFR, given that my BFR expires in March and the COVID situation will undoubtedly continue to get worse until later this year.

Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

given that my BFR expires in March

As you know, one advantage of a FAA BFR/IR renewal, is that if one goes beyond its expiry date the only penalty you incur is that one cannot use the privileges; but it doesn’t lapse i.e. one can renew it at any date thereafter and it becomes current again.
Not so an EASA/CAA qualification: If it lapses by as much as one day you have to take a Renewal Test.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Peter_G wrote:

As you know, one advantage of a FAA BFR/IR renewal, is that if one goes beyond its expiry date the only penalty you incur is that one cannot use the privileges; but it doesn’t lapse i.e. one can renew it at any date thereafter and it becomes current again.

That’s correct, an FAA certificate has no expiry date and regaining currency is only a log book entry not requiring issuance of a new certificate/licence document. But if IR currency has lapsed for one day more than 6 months an Instrument Proficiency Check (IPC) is needed and that is functionally the same as an initial IR skills test (in EASA-speak).

LSZK, Switzerland

I believe it is actually 12 months when you absolutely need a full IPC; the 6 months between when you can become current alone and the need for an IPC, you can regain currency with a safety pilot. See a BoldMethod article for reference.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

alioth wrote:

Is it possible to share which FPMs to contact?

Any FPM should be sufficient. Here’s the directory https://www.faasafety.gov/FAASTApp/directory/default.aspx

London, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message