Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CRI and instructing at night

Noe wrote:

while the IFR seems inherently safer for avionics teaching

Yes completely agree, fiddling with various AP modes at 1500ft on choke points does not help a lot, I only play with it when above 5000ft on 3 days cross-country with AP note son my knee, also having two people for that task is even better

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

The same logic will apply to instruction given in IMC

I agree, I cannot see anything in the regulations preventing this. I think it makes perfect sense. A lot of the time I spend on checkouts is people trying to understand better the autopilot modes of the plane. It would seem a bit silly that the autopilot could only be trained in VFR, while the IFR seems inherently safer for avionics teaching, since the head of the pilot and instructor will be focused on the instruments panel rather than outside.

Peter, your recomendation paid out well – this last reply was very timely (15 days only), and had much more substance than the previous one I had gotten.

Last Edited by Noe at 18 Nov 17:28

Ibra wrote:

Does that require students to have a night rating?

I’m not sure. I would only do it with someone that had a night rating though.

if yes or no, then what can be said about being able to log dual night landings? or logging dual night time?

I’m not sure what you mean, but with someone with a rating, I’d have them log landings and flight time in the “night column”, as PUT (as I hope you did when we did your DA40 checkout). It wouldn’t count for a night rating, but I don’t think there would need to be provisions for this (such as writing that “this does not count for the hours required to obtain a night rating”), since the holder would already have the rating.

I think we all agree that you definitely cannot count hours at night done with a CRI for your night rating.

I’ve had 3 instruction flights where landing at night was much more practical than landing by day. I have a full time job, so some instruction flights (eg checkouts) are done late in the day.

There is some value in doing at night, to demonstrate how to tweak g1000 brightnesses etc (auto sometimes gets it quite wrong)

You can log whatever you want, but none of the night time in those circumstances would count towards the night rating.

The value of non-night, non-instrument related training at night is debateable.

Biggin Hill

Great news Noe, thanks for chasing this !

Does that require students to have a night rating? if yes or no, then what can be said about being able to log dual night landings? or logging dual night time?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Well done for pursuing it. The same logic will apply to instruction given in IMC.

London, United Kingdom

FYI, I have received confirmation from the CAA that a CRI can instruct at night as long as the night is incidental to the lesson (you are not teaching for a night rating or night rating skills)

Well, I think anyone who actually bothered of reading the regulations would see it that way too!

But it is actually useful to know that other countries have very different views, especially when the regulations are the same

Thank you

Last Edited by Noe at 13 Sep 20:21

The discussion and the different interpretations are really wired regarding my experience. When I did my CRI my theoretical part to present was: How to fly save at night. The assumed target group: rusty pilots who haven’t been in the air at night for a while although they have a vfr night rating. The presentation was the preparation for a CRI flight together with these pilots. So this scenario was one chosen by the school and used as my exam case. So I was sure that I would have the right to do this in real life too (never did by the way).

EDDS , Germany
47 Posts
Sign in to add your message