Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interesting new option: converting EASA SPL licence to LAPL or PPL

Hi everyone,

I’m writing to you as I’ve tried for the last few weeks to figure out this situation but I somehow got more confused than when I started.

I’m an Italian pilot, holder of active licences for both gliders with self-launching rating as well as ultralight licence. These licences where both national, the glider one is ICAO, the ultralight is issued by the national aeroclub association.
Starting from March all glider pilots in Italy have been requested to convert their licences from ICAO to EASA, resulting in an European SPL licence. I have completed this process and I’m now holder of this licence with self-launching rating.
This licence basically changes the minimal activity required and more generally brings few advantages which I won’t explain here as not relevant to my question.

The one and biggest advantage for me is that it SEEMS there is a nice way to transition from this SPL to an EASA LAPL/PPL, with by far less required hours than starting from zero.
It is true that also in the past a glider pilot had a discount on the required flying hours for the PPL but it was very limited, now it seems like a very good option.

Still, I haven’t figured out how to do that and what is the path from one licence to the other. I tried to get the answers from a couple of good schools I visited but they were not so aware about this new option, plus very reluctant to explaining a shortcut to achieve my goal.

I also believe I will easily make it doing just the minimum amount of hours required as I’m very proficient flying with my ultralight throughout Europe, and have flown GA aircrafts regularly as “PIC” with an instructor next to me, so aware of the differences in weight and performances (generally far worse than Uls).

I would be interested to achieve a LAPL/PPL as it would open up a new door for me, that being having the option to carry my family (wife + 2 years old son) on some trips I do, not always having to choose between staying with the people I love or go and do what I love.
It would not replace my UL flying as I love visiting the different airstrips around Italy, plus my family would not join me on every flight (let’s say one out of three), so that’s why if I have to do the all path and invest roughly 15k€ it’s not that appealing, but if a manage to achieve that at around half that costs, it starts to make sense.

If I manage to get a PPL/LAPL I would have access to a very nice Experimental registered RV 10 based close to me, hence where all the interest starts.

Do any of you guys know how to go from a SPL with self-launching to LAPL/PPL (both would be ok for me)?

thanks in advance to anyone who will join the discussion.

LILC, Italy

My understanding part-FCL has a complicated route is:
1) From LAPL/SPL(S,SL) to LAPL/SPL(S,TMG), my guess same “difference training” as you did to get a self-launch
2) From LAPL/SPL(S,TMG) to LAPL/SPL(A,TMG), this will require ATO course, TK exams and examiner skill-test
3) From LAPL/SPL(A,TMG) to LAPL/SPL(A,SEP), this will require ATO course and examiner skill-test
4) From LAPL to PPL, ATO course and examiner skill-test

IMO 2) is rather “institutional inertia” (basically flying the same identical aircraft on two set of papers) while 3) is rather debatable
Obviously, if you had a “legacy PPL” and “some flight time” somewhere you maybe able to convince CAA to burn some of the steps on a case by case basis…

So, worth considering just full PPL(SEP) from the start you will get 10% PIC hours in gliders up to 10h max

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

with 10h credit for glider experience you can get LAPL(A) in 15h , still much better than 35 required for PPL..

EETU, Estonia

For a LAPL(A) if you are a TMG Flyer it is quite easy -

FCL.110.A = Specific requirements for applicants holding an LAPL(S) or an SPL with TMG extension. Applicants for an LAPL(A) holding an LAPL(S) or an SPL with TMG extension shall have completed at least 21 hours of flight time on TMGs after the endorsement of the TMG extension and complied with the requirements of point FCL.135.A(a) on aeroplanes.

FCL135 =

The privileges of an LAPL(A) shall be limited to the class and variant of aeroplanes or TMG in which the skill test was taken. This limitation may be removed when the pilot has completed in another class the requirements below: (1) (2) 3 hours of flight instruction, including: (i) 10 dual take-offs and landings; and (ii) 10 supervised solo take-offs and landings.

a skill test to demonstrate an adequate level of practical skill in the new class. During this skill test, the applicant shall also demonstrate to the examiner an adequate level of theoretical knowledge for the other class in the following subjects: (i) (ii) (iii) Operational procedures; Flight performance and planning; Aircraft general knowledge.

So 3 hours instruction and the SEP class rating test!

Last Edited by Balliol at 05 Jun 19:13
Now retired from forums best wishes

What about the other way around? You have a PPL and want to do some glider flying. How easy is it to get a glider pilot license?

EDLE, Netherlands

Depending the state, we’re still transitioning to Part-FCL and there will be a further reform merging LAPL(S) and SPL.
From Part FCL you can credit up to 7 flight hours (FH) out of the 15 FH required.
You still need to do the 45 launches and 2 FH solo.

For the written exam, you should need only principles of flight and operations.

Passenger carrying comes much later in the gliding world, so the difference between a student solo pilot and a licensed pilot is only if you want to go cross-country.
It takes time to developp the skills to soar so effectively the FH requirement is not a problem. If you’re very good and weather conditions are good, you might just be ready before the 45 launches.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message