Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Interior refurbishment

I have 07770 672838 for Ken Bones. He did a running repair to the interior of my plane a few months ago and did a great job.

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Sorry to revive this old thread, but does anyone have contact details for Ken Bones? Not much luck on Google or calling Rush Green airfield. Thanks.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

We will let this advert stay, because it looks useful and relevant, but the normal policy is to allow businesses to advertise only if they participate usefully in the forum generally (“usefully” means not just content-free one-liners ).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hi John, have you had a quote through your aircraft interior yet?
Please visit my website www.pimpmyplane.co.uk
I’ve worked for most completion centres in Europe. Working from Cessna’s to head of state aircraft.

I can supply vertical burn certificates and combination certs on all materials used.

You can also follow me on twitter @pimpmyp

Many thanks

Steve

I too can recommend Ken Bones. Nice chap, good work and fair prices.

Forever learning
EGTB

Incidentally I was recently speaking to a chap whose business is airliner seat materials, and I asked him whether all leather automatically meets the fire regs. I had heard that it does, but apparently it doesn’t, and usually additives (chemicals) are required to meet the regs. Usually these are designed to also achieve the desired colour, etc.

Whether the above applies to light GA I don’t know.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Leather is certainly preferred and the current scheme is mainly leather seats with cloth inserts. They have lasted remarkably well given the age although the Aztec has never been used very much prior to me buying it. It just looks a bit old now although maybe the classic look is something that I should maintain.

As I understand it from a regulatory point of view under EASA in the UK for a G reg the various certification documents for the materials will be provided by the installer and my maintenance company will then sign off the work in the logs. It doesn’t seem to be a big issue provided that you use a reputable installer.

John

EGBW, United Kingdom

When doing interiors, seriously consider leather throughout. It is more expensive, but will last many times longer than most fabrics. My Teal was redone with what I am told was very expensive FAR Part 25.853 burn compliant material (similar to some I have seen on flight attendant seats) and afer five years of only me flying it, the pilot’s seat is junk. I’ll be recovering them myself over the winter with leather.

Most quality leather will and has passed the FAA burn test requirements, and documentation is probably available for it if you ask. I have had to pay $15 for the documents in the past when I ordered, and it was worth it. You would like to see a Certificate of Conformity, and a copy of the burn test report which is from an FAA accredited burn test facility, and/or FAA DER. It will reference either a vertical or horizontal burn test conforming to FAR 25.853. Either vertical or horizontal will be adequate for a GA light aircraft, regardless of the actual orientation in the aircraft. Do it yourself burn testing is not possible to show compliance.

Depending upon your national regulations (Canada and the FAA are about the same, I don’t know the UK or EASA), there is regulatory provision for “made parts” for repair, which must conform to certain standards (flammability), but do not have to originate from the aircraft manufacturer or be certified as a “part”. You just cannot part mark them, or offer them for sale, they have to signed directly into the aircraft. Interior refurbishing would be a good example of “made parts”, as long as you have the documentation to support a demonstration of compliance with the prevailing requirements.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Yes I was talking to Richard at Air Interiors Elstree yesterday and will see what the quote looks like. Good to hear such a recommendation for him.

My interior is actually the original Aztec interior from 1979 and since the aircraft has only done 1700 hrs it is still in good shape but looking a bit tired and obviously it is of that era. The only worn bits are the carpets and the plastics could do with respraying. Talking to Farnborough today Stewart suggested it might be better to refresh the interior rather than refit. Obviously a lot cheaper but what do you think?
John

EGBW, United Kingdom

Another very good shop at Elstree, it is called ‘Intiriair’. They did my aircraft, 5 years later the co-pilot headrest stitches opened (due to back seats pax using it as a support to get in/out), they re-did it but refused payment, saying that it was under warranty.
Ben

20 Posts
Sign in to add your message