Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Introduction - new one around!

Hello EuroGA,

having been a reader on this forum for a while I decided I should just create an account so I could ask a few questions myself.

Although I have none right now I am sure they will arise when beginning my IR training. I plan to do so this summer, work and money permitting.

From the impression I got while browsing the forums, I seem to be at the rather “low-end”, compared to the average poster.

Neither do I own a plane, nor can I afford to, I am low-time (160h) and do not hold an instrument rating (yet ;)).

All my training and flying is done with the club, so I do not have access to a fancy Cirrus or the like, but learned to fly on the Aquila. To me, the NVFR-version of it with the Aspen is quite fancy, though.
I really like that model and avoid flying the club C172s whenever I can.

So far I did not do much touring, but this is what I would like to do in the future, the aircraft in question being the club Arrow I, which is IFR capable.

I’m looking forward to learning​ as much as I can about flying and everything associated with it from this forum.

Of course I will readily provide as much help and info as I can to anyone who might be interested in flying VFR in northern Germany!

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CharlieRomeo wrote:

From the impression I got while browsing the forums, I seem to be at the rather “low-end”, compared to the average poster.

Neither do I own a plane, nor can I afford to, I am low-time (160h) and do not hold an instrument rating (yet ;)).

Don’t you worry about that. It just means that IR holders and airplane owners have bigger mouths. Or they are more insecure, so they have more questions…

Welcome.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 30 Mar 09:41
LFPT, LFPN

CharlieRomeo wrote:

Don’t worry, we all started out like that. Welcome!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

CharlieRomeo wrote:

While I do own one, it is at the low end (a vintage day-VFR type) so join the low-end club :-) The more the merrier.

Andreas IOM

IFR is a very useful tool for going places, but it doesn’t necessarily mean more fun ;-)

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to EuroGA, CharlieRomeo

Do feel free to ask anything!

It just means that IR holders and airplane owners have bigger mouths

That’s probably accurate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aviathor wrote:

Don’t you worry about that. It just means that IR holders and airplane owners have bigger mouths. Or they are more insecure, so they have more questions…

or both :-) Welcome CharlieRomeo!

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Thanks for the warm welcome- and for making me feel better at “my end” of aviation ;)

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

CR nice avatar – and welcome. There are quite a few devotees of low and slow flying on the forum. While the IR is a good challenge don’t dismiss touring in the Aquila. VFR touring is more pleasant, although being IFR capable does give you some more options – in particular for flying on top.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

CharlieRomeo wrote:

Well, welcome to the low end group We are the (silent) majority here, about 95% of all private pilots according to statistics for Europe. We are constantly pecked on though. But, as I see it, you can use your time and money on being a Pilot or an Aviator:

1. Pilot: Flying straight and level in complex machines ,on autopilot for hours and hours feeling important
  2. Aviator: Doing actual flying, in poor weather, in good weather, having fun, aerobatics, sporting activities, action, bush flying, fixing stuff, building stuff, being free as a bird, be a part of the aircraft, the aircraft becoming an extension of your very body and soul.

Or as the Aviator E B Jeppesen himself put it (we all know Jeppesen’s company at least):

And let’s get one thing straight. There’s a big difference between a pilot and an aviator. One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight.

This is also cool reading. Here is from the beginning:

Everyone reading these words has flown with a lot of other pilots. And without realizing it, every one of us mentally puts those pilots into one of two categories based on how they handle the airplane. When flying with one group of pilots, the airplane feels as if it’s moving through molasses on rails: very smoothly with no extraneous motions. We label those pilots “aviators.” The other group is doing something that gives us the subliminal feeling that the airplane is continually moving around as it searches for its comfort zone. We simply call those “pilots.” The difference is that an aviator is the airplane, and they move as one, while the pilot is simply manipulating the proper controls at the appropriate time and sees the airplane as a machine that he forces to do his bidding.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message