Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IR to see the sun

This thread is great….what flying is all about.

Great stories and descriptions. I echo Flyer59’s comments. To fly, especially IFR is a great privilege.!

EGKB Biggin Hill London

That’s certainly new to me!

Peter wrote:

Is IFR in homebuilts legal in Switzerland, and if so, what are the conditions?

No thread drift please I don’t know about Switzerland, but it is legal in Germany with an N-reg homebuilt without operating limitation “VFR only”.

EDLE

Is IFR in homebuilts legal in Switzerland, and if so, what are the conditions?

The IR is definitely worth doing. It’s a pity that it’s a big and time-consuming project.

Passengers are always amazed when one climbs up through a layer – especially if you let them fly the plane, just keeping wings level on the AI.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

….because it fits in here: http://mcr01.ch/46-n44bg/fotostories/356-sonnenschein

IFR-Training with a Lancair IV P (Homebuilt ) in LSZB climbing from OVC into bright sunshine with the swiss alps in the background – plus short Video sequence.

EDLE

One of the best things I managed to do when training PPLs was to take two student into actual IMC as part of the instrument flight training, and climb on top. The smile on their faces when they break out, and the rush they get from skimming the cloud tops is fantastic.

Only managed this twice, as solid overcasts with a base high enough, tops low enough, and a student in the right phase of training do not often coincide…

Both students went on to do an IMC rating (now IR(R)) as soon as it was sensible after getting their PPL.

[Sorry for giving the German participants in this forum a heart attack]

Last Edited by Cobalt at 21 Oct 14:08
Biggin Hill

When I was in the SF Bay Area, taking a flight into the sunshine was very much appreciated. Unfortunately (!) the Oakland Airport (KOAK) was not fogged in too often, except in the very early morning. I sometimes took off VMC at KOAK and flew to Sonoma or Napa County to practice approaches (6 approaches and one hold in the last 6 months to be current), and was VMC above the fog, diving down into it on final (non-precision dive&drive IIRC), never saw the runway, went around and back on top. That was a lot of fun!

LFPT, LFPN

For a descent from FL95 i doubt they will be impressed. Might brighten up their day though if they by any chance posses a sense of humour…;)

ESG..., Sweden

Haha, have to remember that one and try it one day: “(Munich Radar)… Golf Yankee Oscar Romeo Charlie” … standing by for re-entry"… But probably someone has done that already ;-)

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Oct 13:33

Have the same experience, when on TOD you have to bite your tongue to say “ready for descent” instead of “ready for reentry”.. :)

ESG..., Sweden
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message