Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is an aircraft with trailing link gear harder to push backwards?

Rallies – they sure do (have fixed gear with trailing arm). Had to look for a picture.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

WarleyAir wrote:

Cirrus. Negative. The actual legs holding the wheels (fixed gear) are inaffect a piece of spring steel (cart spring). Very simple and light weight.
Sure don’t think any fixed gear with the weight / luxuary of trailing arm.

Rallyes ?

Silvaire,

yes,a Ceriani 230 mm, it is in the BMW since 1980 – a while after I had a very hairy moment when coming round along a sweeping bend in hilly country at 160 kph and seeing a crowd of cattle on the road . I was 21 at the incident and in the army 15 months duty . . .
The leading link in the 1965 R 69 S stays level under hard braking, anti dive .

Vic
vic
EDME

FWIW: if there is some play in the links they may create some toe in or toe out when pushed backwards…

ESG..., Sweden

Vic, nice front brake. I’m guessing it’s a Ceriani or Oldani?

BTW, leading link suspension can be to set to rise or fall under braking depending on details of the geometry.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 08 Mar 22:49

Sure zero toe on aircraft mains. When on the wheels they only go in a straight line at speed – one hopes

That ‘shaft drive’ BMW bike looks superb.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Do nosewheel aircraft have toe-in or toe-out of the main gear? That would affect which direction is easiest to push.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
Hmmm, on my bike I have one leading link up front – and a trailing link at the rear. Now I am confused, in which orientation I´d better drive . . . . Vic

Last Edited by vic at 08 Mar 17:17
vic
EDME

The club I learned to fly with had a Beech Musketeer (trailing link). I don’t recall it being any more difficult to push back than any other similar weight aircraft.

Andreas IOM

The lightest trailing link main gear aircraft I can think of is the Ercoupe.

While the jacking effect when pushing backwards may be real, I’m not sure it’s a substantial factor. A lot of motorcycles have been built with leading link front wheel suspension.

21 Posts
Sign in to add your message