Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is an FAA Airworthiness Cert "voided" by an annual lapsed more than 12 months?

Funny old question, and I though the answer was obvious. I am looking at an aircraft which is out of annual since Feb 13. I wanted to get another task performed on the aircraft, and was asking a DAR for a quote for a different task. He was to one who brought it up, that the airworthiness cert was now in his words “voided” by inactivity.

My own take on it was that the airworthiness cert had no date of expiry and could be revalidated at any time by way of an annual inspection.

I’d be more than certain that my gut feeling is correct, and there is no issue. Just before I pay for this aircraft I said I’d ask here….

Thanks,

William

Last Edited by WilliamF at 11 Sep 16:04
Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

@NCYankee will know the answer

I would put my money on your opinion…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks,
The FAA website is pretty simple on the matter:

A standard airworthiness certificate remains valid as long as the aircraft meets its approved type design, is in a condition for safe operation and maintenance, preventative maintenance, and alterations are performed in accordance with 14 CFR parts 21, 43, and 91.

I think this guy is over extrapolating the facts and presuming that because the aircraft is out of annual, it falls outside the above description.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Which DAR is expounding this BS ?

My guess is he’s Irish …

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

FWIW: I’ve signed off Annual Inspections that were over 48 months since the previous and there’s no reason whatsoever that I wouldn’t sign-off on 48 years if the aircraft in question is Airworthy .

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Thanks Michael,
You know its the second time I’ve gone to this guy for a quotation on a task, and he told me something last time too that was way off the mark. He said that in order to put my aircraft onto the N reg it needed to have an export C of A. I said no it didn’t, as it was previously on the N reg and built in America. I got a different DAR in the finish up and funny old thing it didn’t need an export C of A.

I think I have my answer now.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

I got a different DAR in the finish up

PM me his name, I’ve got alot of work for a DAR coming up.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

One of my my FAA airworthiness certificates was issued (IIRC) in 1956, the year they stopped reissuing them annually. The other in 1971. Both planes have spent periods out of annual, but once an annual inspection is performed and logbook entires made (without submission of any FAA airworthiness related paperwork) the airworthiness certificate is again in full force and effect, to use insurance company phraseology.

It’s important not to lose the paper airworthiness certificate for an FAA registered plane. A friend recently got his J3 Cub project flying and had some minor FSDO hassle because he needed a new airworthiness certificate before flight. He got it, but If his father hadn’t lost the original during the decades since buying the project, no FAA contact would have been necessary even though the plane had been out of annual since 1962, when it last flew before rebuild. Just put the old & exisitng certificate on display in the cockpit, make sure the plane’s registration is current, and you’re good to go.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Sep 00:05

Although I have not seen this level of ignorance with a DAR, I think this highlights the problem I have seen of European Part66 mechanics who somehow also gained FAA A&P and many with IA credentials….I have seen misinterpretations of the FARs….usually due (IMO) to a misconception of the applicability of European regs or philosophy…which is why, although I don’t know Michael, I would trust his view as an American, over many European practitioners of FAA regulations.

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 12 Sep 01:19
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

You can get A&P on the back of EASA66 experience, plus sitting the A&P exams.
You can get EASA66 on the back of A&P experience, plus sitting the EASA66 exams.

An IA is a lot harder to get and probably no longer possible in Europe. You are also very likely to get banned if you sign off something dodgy

However a DAR is a whole another level. This just doesn’t make any sense.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message