Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is EuroGA too much "IFR"?

I am wondering if many people aren’t discouraged from posting by the occasionally high IFR content?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If anything, I prefer that.

EGKB

No, I enjoy the high IFR content.

ESTL

Discouraged about what?!

Many people look up towards obtaining some IFR rating as it’s statistically one of the best ways to be safer in the skies.

I enjoy reading the IR content as there is plenty to learn, but I am rarely qualified enough to comment. I enjoy both aspects of flying VFR and IR, so much so that I have just bought a share in an Sting TL20 for cheap VFR bimbling so that the saved funds can be used for hiring a proper IFR aircraft for longer trips.

In answer to the question though, there is probably quite a strong IFR bias at present.

EGBP, United Kingdom

Should you have a VFR “Enjoying the View” forum Peter?

EGTK Oxford

I personaly am quiet in IR Threads, because I don’t have the IR yet and can very seldom contribute to a discussion. But since the users make the content, I don’t think anyone should be discouraged from much IR discussion.

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

I don’t think it’s “too much” IFR and “too many” owners, but there is certainly a tendency towards IFR and owners on Euroga. Obviously, that’s just dictated by the crowd of people who “is” Euroga and I doubt that the focus of the site will shift considerably by e.g. adding another VFR forum. And it probably shouldn’t, anyway.

It’s been pointed out numerous times that the quality of content on this site is much higher than on other aviation forums and that, too, is dictated by the crwod of people who make up the forum and who post quality content.

However, a couple of things that happen to me and maybe to other readers/members in a similar position:

• Being a relatively fresh PPL/aircraft renter/VFR flyer, I feel I can rarely contribute.
  • Many topics are completely irrelevant to me – especially in the Maintenance & Avionics section.
  • Some trip reports may be irrelevant to me from a practical point of view (because it’s not the way I fly/can fly), but I love reading them for inspiration and learning.
  • Pre-Euroga, I thought I’d be happy to be a renter for the rest of my life. Post-Euroga, I dream of owning a Cirrus. ;-)
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Variating an old joke about fishing:

What’s more boring than flying IFR?
Reading about other people flying IFR

EDDS - Stuttgart

There is not too much IFR content. Much of the IFR stories make interesting reading, even if I don’t think I’ll fly IFR in this life.

There only is not enough VFR content.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
59 Posts
Sign in to add your message